Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired.Com - Wi-Fi security concerns

Options
  • 30-01-2002 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭

Found this link on today's wired.com (linked to USA Today)

Interesting, from a "what-if" perspective. The article isn't very technical though. Just gives a general overview.

[edit] .. oops .. forgot to mention why I think this is Ioffl related

With a lot of talk about rolling out Wi-Fi broadband here, the above article could pour a bit of uncertainty and doubt on it
    [/edit]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I laughed my ass off when I read that. Wi-Fi isn't insecure per se, it just has a tradition of being /badly/ secured. Sure, WEP has been cracked, but that's not the only way of securing wireless channels. The reason Wi-Fi has such a bad rep is because an awful lot of WAN's weren't secured /at all/. What do people expect when you don't even turn WEP on for gods sake? People are always going to crack communications - not securing them is like leaving your front door open and all your cash on the hall floor.

adam

Advertisement