Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money Talks

Options
  • 30-01-2002 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭

Money Money Money.....

Everything Hotpress does is starting to irritate me...so much for trying to help the irish music scene....I read it on and off and laugh at the high and mighty self indulgent pap that some of the writers come out with on occassion.To be fair its not all bad, but I am certain of one thing....Hotpress in my view does not represent or even come close to representing the grass roots of the scene...which I always though it was supposed too..the event guide is about it in my view .......

The last issue I actually bought was the Bob Geldof issue? and I thought fair enough he's worth an article or two but the rest of the issue was, for me, very poor as was the one previous(Paul Brady??), Hotpress sell ads and I think music is just the vehicle they use. Like I said I buy it rarely and am open to counter points, actually let me re-phrase that Im hoping someone will make counterpoints and convince me that hotpress actually gives a crap about irish music.

I'd also be interested to hear peoples experiences on the band competitions they run regularly?

Later- Trev

PS I meant to add this to the hot press rip off thread sorry!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭clevenger

couldn't agree more. hot press shmot press most writers too interested in thier own words/opion than music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

i remember one of the writers slated an aslan album and it went on to be not just succesful-sales wise,but ....yeah,basically she ragged it without listening to it,and lo and behold all these jivers started writing in slamming her;

basically
    my point is they already have their idea's and wont change them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭mixer007

Interesting that they do an interview with Naomi Klein author of No Logo, when they same to agree with everything she believes in and then they run a magazine thirsty for loads of ads. I wonder did they read the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Paul Hare

I was in 1 of the bands that got to the last 75 of the Hotpress Plugged band of the year, which I was delighted with.

But I heard that in the band competitions they already have the winner before the competition starts and the whole competition is just rigged to promote that band. I may be wrong, but thats what I heard. Can anyone add to that, maybe its just a stupid rumour.

But generally speaking I like reading the HotPress. At least they publish peoples complaints about articles they've written, so in that way they're not hiding.

Paul

http://www.ginsengmusic.com

Advertisement