Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T bone steak

• 30-01-2002 11:46am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

I was buying a steak the other day, and was talking to the butcher about flavour.
    I mentioned to him that my favourite steak was always T bone, he agreed and we both were ruing the day and that T bone was taken off the shelf.

Does anyone here is it still possible to purchase T bone steak, or is the regulation being strictly adhered to by all Butchers ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

It's been taken off our menu in the restaurant I work in (and we specialize in steaks) and we can't order them from any meat suppliers either.

If you ask me, it's better that you don't eat it if you do manage to track some down. It's just not safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

mmmm I have yet to try T bone steak and would love to, any good ways of cooking it?

Why is it not good neuro praxis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Mostly to do with the risk a vCJD (the human form of mad cow disease).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I don't really think it should be too dangerous, considering that the spinal cord is now removed in the slaughterhouse.
    Also, we don't normally eat the bones.

I do, however, fully understand the reasoning behind the ban.

I think the point is that, whatever about not eating the bone, people sometimes have a bit of a chew or people make stew and you never know what an outright muppet might do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

You get get some nice T Bones if you're on hols in Spain or The Canary islands.

Had a huge kg steak before. Waiter said I wouldn't finish it, but I took up the challenge. It was absolutely massive and everyone was waiting for me to finish. I usually like rare n bloody steaks but ordered medium cos I knew the centre would be pretty rare anyways.

I have a photo of the thing too... somewhere

Oh yeah, and if you know where to go you can get T-Bones in Ireland.

Originally posted by MarcusGarvey
    Oh yeah, and if you know where to go you can get T-Bones in Ireland.

You can't, meat on the bone is illegal. Unless you go out shooting your own cows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Hello ? Are cows suddenly being grown without bones ? If you know a nice Victualler he'll get you some ILLEGAL STEAK. Its just like the "Special Stuff" that Hillary Briss sells. - League of Gentlemen reference ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Seen T-Bone steak for sale today in Henry Place market. Won't say the name of the shop, ssssssssh, go and have a look

Where is Henry Place ?
    My immediate thoughts would be that it is off Henry Street, but I can't think where it would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

yeah, where the outdoor market is.

What outdoor market ?
    Do you mean Moore street ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I work as a butcher, it is still possible to get T-bone steak, the buttchery I work in still sells it, we also sell striplion steak, which is praticually the same as t-bone, cept it doens't come in off the bone anymore, but whenever we get calf's shoulders in, its possible to get t-bone steak off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

MMMmmmmmm, t-bone steak, yumlicious, ill have 7 or 9 please....
    Minus the CJD tho, yeeeuck. :)

As for this:
    Originally posted by MarcusGarvey
    Its just like the "Special Stuff" that Hillary Briss sells. - League of Gentlemen reference ....

I dont think you should compare T-Bone steaks to that "Special Stuff".
    Mainly because i heard a rumour of what it is, and well, *blergh* :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Me like stake - has to be well done though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I've since left my job in that restaurant (yay!).

But if anyone is interested (and I know some of you will be because men for some reason eat about 10 times as much as women) there is a steak challenge in Spur in Liffey Valley shopping centre. It is to eat a 64ounce steak in one hour - that's about 2kg or 4lbs. It's disgusting. If you finish it, you get it for free, if you don't you pay about 50 euros for it. :) The number is 016209100 to book if anyone wants to. And yes, it has been done -I've seen four piggish men eat their way through that slab of cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Is there anything going with this nice piece of steak ? I'd be tempted, I really would if there some other bits of food as eating it on its own might be hard, some nice melted cheese on it and mushrooms and I'd eat it.

Advertisement