Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCSI hard drives

• 08-11-2000 2:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, I know they're horribly expensive things, but anyone know where I can get one at something resembling a decent price? (say 10+ gigs)

I don't know much about the technology myself, but from what I can gather the existing scsi hard drive in this machine is an IBM 9.1 GB ultra-wide one.

Here's what device manager in Win98 has to say about it:
    IBM-PSG ST39204LW !#

So, is that any help? smile.gif

- Munch
    gibskull2.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by Stephen:
    Here's what device manager in Win98 has to say about it:
    IBM-PSG ST39204LW !#
    So, is that any help? smile.gif
    Well I had a poke around the 'oul IBM support site, and "IBM-PSG ST39204LW" and any variants of it, turned up nadda.
    You should open up the tower and have a look for the model&serial number of the harddrive, then flick over to www.pc.ibm.com/support ... enter your model number, and you should find a good few tech docs about your harddrive.
    And if they're still popular, you could buy on from the site.
    But then with the rate of $ to £ these days, you probably shouldn't bother.

As for cheap places to buy, I'd say you could do worse than checking out some of the usual suspects... PC Peripherals, Peats, maplin.

But I dunno, a 30GB EIDE would be far cheaper, just keep your games and mp3's on it, and leave all the windows shtuff on the SCSI drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Ah, that's a long story smile.gif

Well, ya see, I can't figure out where the hell i could mount an EIDE drive, or get the ide cable to it in the case. The existing scsi drive is mounted in a little rack with a fan on it inside the case. The scsi cable just barely fits in through a little gap at the bottom of the fan casing. I don't know how I could fit an IDE cable through there, but an EIDE drive would fit into the rack without a problem. Another thing is the fact that the ide ports on the motherboard are miles away from the rack thingy for the scsi drives, and are stuck under yet another fan whose removal would involve taking practically everything except pci/agp cards out of the box :/

ah such fun

- Munch
    gibskull2.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

<hup>

smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

This is why god invented hacksaws....Ah the days of making seemingly useful holes in my PC case.....
    If it's that much hastle why not get a PCI IDE (ATA-100) controller and use that instead? The combined cost of that and a decent IDE drive would be cheaper than the SCSI variant.
    You only really need SCSI if you're running CPU intensive apps at the same time you're accessing the drive (constantly), using many drives at once (eg. high load on a RAID array) or have the bucks to shell out for 10,000 RPM Ultra-2 drives. For home use a decent 7200 RPM ATA-100 drive will be fine.
    The IBM 75GXP's are excellent BTW. Just got one and it benchmarks at ~9ms access, 38Mb/s sustained transfer rate and 78mb/s Burst. All this with 8-16% CPU usage.

Advertisement