Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

if i upgrade my computer....

• 10-11-2000 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

so i upgrade the memory, cpu, motherboard, case and then find i have to reinstall windows. but the premade install cd wont install(im paranoid that itll refuse to install because of the new parts?)
    So will the sound card, video card etc need new drivers off of a cd or what?

and will i need a new power supply box/thing
    i want to get a athlon of something like it.
    i have a pentium 166
    i doubt the power supply for that would do for an athlon?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Check out http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/index.htm
    This site should answer most of your questions.

bulmers.jpg
    Nothing added but me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

To answer your questions, ur premade install wont work, unless it is just a standard win98 cd with only cosmetic modificatations. You will need a new power supply as well, 300 watt is good enough for the athlon, and they go for about £30. Fairly obviously now, the cd you have isnt going to have drivers for a new sound card and graphics card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

You might check the cd for a win98 folder. More often though the Compaqs and Packard Bells of these world use their own cabinet format, _but_ sometimes chuck win98 into a folder called C:\windows\system\options\cabs or similar.

P.s. See the For Sale board for my cheapo parts!!

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

Assume im not getting new sound/video/modem cards and cd rom drives, im using the old ones and i just wonder how i can get them to work. If i cant get their drivers off the old crapulent premade cd am i not royally shagged?
    I assume ill need their dirvers right?

sorry, i misread your post. Windows 98 will probably have basic drivers for your sound card and modem, maybe your graphics card as well. You can get new drivers easily though from the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

where ill i get a boot floppy disk for win98 from?
    or will i need it ive only ever used win95

[This message has been edited by pertinax (edited 12-11-2000).]

you can set the computer to boot directly from the win98 cdrom, so you dont need a bootdisk at all.

Advertisement