Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software OpenGl Driver???

• 30-01-2002 3:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

We have OEM machines in college running WinNT4.0 with integrated Graphics Cards. Shíte for games basically.
    P3 800s afaik on most of em, 128megs Ram (I know it's not enough).
    Running SP5 or 6 I think
    version 4.00.1381

Any ideas?
    We'd need Admin rights to install drivers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

What does this have to do with a software OpenGL driver?

And why the hell haven't you asked a question?

NT comes with a software implementation of OpenGL, but games normally check to see if there's hardware support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I believe he is asking is there some way of running a program which acts as an opengl driver (bypassing the existing crappy video driver somehow) Something which I thought about and quickly dismissed. NT does not work like that, the program would not have direct access to the hardware, so its not feasible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

If the system is running an intel 810 graphics chipset then the reason it is so slow is that it is using 'system ram' as opposed to dedicated graphics ram for memory hence the slowness and general crapness of gameplay, dvd playback etc. About the last thing you need for an integrated graphics card is software OpenGL, talk about slow, is it not possible to get the hardware acceloration for the intergrated stuff working? I could be wrong but even i810 supports hardware OpenGL ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

q3 works on the i810 machines in college, they are p3 1ghz machines. They just have the default graphics drivers, we don't have admin to change em eitehr.

Tis quite brutal though, about 70fps in 400 * 300, and the monitors won't run in 512*384

I think syxpaks machines probably have integrated ati cards, in which case yer screwed, because they are still putting rage pro chipsets onto motherboards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Afaik they're intel integreated 810s. :/
    Fujitsu Seimens machines.
    Bloody things have all sorts of crap installed by feckin IT students typing with thumbs up their a**es. :mad:
    £40 million and they only have 128Megs ffs. They were all bought last summer too, so they could had 512 megs for a little bit more per machine. The pagefile is upto 138 megs straight from a restart. Feckin joke in fairness.
    We manage 30-50fps @512x384/640x480 (i can't remember tbh).

I found a Maya software OpenGL .dll yesterday. Don't think I'll even bother now.

The swines have assigned the individual MAC addresses of the NICs to the ports so I can't even bring in my own box at the weekend and use a bit of bandwidth :(
    Suppose Virus protection and all that.....

Thanks anyways lads, and sorry JustHalf for not actaully asking a question. Was rushing out the door when i posted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

The swines have assigned the individual MAC addresses of the NICs to the ports so I can't even bring in my own box at the weekend and use a bit of bandwidth

SyxPak,

If you have a 3COM card, you can clone it to be the same MAC address as one of the cards in the college machines. All you have to do is shut that machine down, and boot your own up, and disco biscuits, you're sorted.

It works well with a 3COM905, which is what I did it with.

Advertisement