Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need voice-to-text software. anyone got some?

• 30-01-2002 4:50pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is not a call for warez but I genuinely need to evaluate a voice-to-text system for a few days. Anyone know where I could get one? or anyone recommend one?

Thanks.

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

I have been messing around with ReadPlease in work for the last few days.

www.readplease.com

Microsoft ® Text-to-Speech Engine v4.0

Trial is something like 30 days, or could be 30 uses

With a bit of tweaking with the pitch and speed you can make the voices sound pretty damn real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

bubbles - he' s looking for speech-to-text not text-to-speech :)

Hmmm....check out www.enn.ie I remember them having an article on 2 huge Irish companies working on voice software, just before chrimbo there. You probably also know of IBM's ViaVoice, which I'm sure costs a helluva lot of cash (not that it's a prob for you DeV :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

/me learns to play more attention.

Last time I try to help anyone, me being EXTREAMLY busy in work latley gave up my ciggie break to do that reply. Pah.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I could probably get you ViaVoice on the cheap. Would need to check though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Dragon Naturally Speaking

I have it on my Desktop- its quite good and quite easy to setup-
    A lady I used to work for on Database updates, who has repetitive strain disorder in her wrists- and thus cannot Type for long periods, is totally dependant on this product. It can also control mouse movements and commands which is useful

Its not perfect but the integrity ratio of text to speach is quite high. In comparison to IBM Via Voice PRO, its streets ahead!
    I'd recommend looking to see if they offer a trial- I think the website is www.dragonsys.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

hee hee just imagine adapting that for game play :D "W ya wanker W!" ahhh bliss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I paid 60 squids for via voice pro some years back cos people said it was the best available. It's been through several re-vamps since but thb - it was really ****. It was toted as being very easy to use and high quality. I spent two weeks between setting it up, and correcting it in a futile attempt to get it to work, but it would still only recognise one word in five.

Maybe if I stuck at it, it would have come good, but I think there's a touch of the emperor's new clothes about it. In short - buy yourself an ergonomic keyboard instead :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

not entirely sure why it would take you too weeks as the average learning time is an hour or so.

I've seen people use it right out of the box with no bother whatsoever. It must be your accent. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I've got an eval version of Via Voice, with Word Pro etc.

Y'can have a lend, as long as you agree to the terms and condions. Email me if you want it.

Oh .. there were many versions of via Voice, retail, bundledfreebies, gold etc. Some were better than others, and it was contantly refined till ti wa reliable. some accents did seem tio defeat it tho.

It worked a lot better than Dragon in my opinion. I had it reliable within 1 hr.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally posted by Hobbes
    not entirely sure why it would take you too weeks as the average learning time is an hour or so.

I did the "comprehensive setup" which took about 4 hours. After that, if it doesn't recognize something you say (i.e. everything) you're supposed to go back and teach it. After two weeks it was still ****e.
    Originally posted by Hobbes
    I've seen people use it right out of the box with no bother whatsoever. It must be your accent. ;)

I did notice how strong my accent was while I was using it, but that's not supposed to matter because of some technical reason. In the olden days, as long as you spoke with the same tone and at the same speed all the time. With the version I had, your accent or tone wasn't supposed to matter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement