Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phantom fm needs a good kick up the arse

Options
  • 30-01-2002 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

this station has gone to seed. nothing but awful record company ****e rock/punk i.e. sum 41/blink182 esque rubbish which could more aptly be classified as pop. who cares about stained and their like, who honestly thinks fred durst is a good mc? Support new irish music,yes,brilliant i support you all the way! but supporting **** irish rock bands who can't see past tring to become as good as the pumkins or weezer without one original chord/thought in thier heads is not doing anyone any good.

Nostalgia aside, as these are not rose tinted comments,bring back the phantom of old. More Buckey,Phoenix,Soulwax,Air,Zero 7,Manu Chao,Dare I say some Jazz Perhaps? Or The Dandy Warhols, the likes of whom it takes a ****ing vodafone advert to get them airplay. the album is nearly19months old lads and lassies ! thats quite a lag time.

Its not likley that I'll tune into phantom and hear songs by bands i've never heard of before like I used to. Be bolder with your playlisting,playing the single off an album everyone's heard before is not good enough. Educate us, open doors and show us the light!

I know these comments will no doubt soung arrogent and patronising but i do it for phantom's sake. Lets not let dublin's best radio station wallow any longer in its,queit- bit- loud- bit- heavy-guitars-of-the-moment-what-MTV R&R-tells-us-we-should like quagmire!

Arise Phantom your Country Needs You!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Beany

This topic has been thrashed out too many times already.

Do we have to go through the same comments again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭slash99

I know these comments will no doubt soung arrogent and patronising but i do it for phantom's sake.

Correct! they are arrogant and patronising!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 gouty

Don't worry you're not going to find many people on the phantom message board who aren't big fans of the station at the minute, most likely they wouldn't be here otherwise

"****e rock/punk i.e. sum 41/blink182 "

unfortunately clevenger this is the sort of music you're going to attract if you go go total request. The "phantom of old" as you call it was request free and driven by people pasionate about music.

Phantom now even has a program that plays the best of the 60s, 70s, and 80s- a great way to get a radio licence perhaps, also a surefire way of clearing out they're old listeners. Xfm is the new black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Brautigan

I think Phantom should support the great Irish bands of the moment. SIX spring to mind, they're class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

I know you mean well clevenger but really i think you're being a little naive to expect phantom to play music thats always exactly to your taste.. you mentioned some class bands there...which i do hear on phantom quite a bit. And although i would be with you in saying that fred durst and the like arent exactly my cup of tea, there is obviously an audience for them. If you want to hear something why dont you ring in some requests..phantom give over a great deal of their time to listener requests so take advantage of the fact.
    Thats my two cents for what its worth..:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭back to front

Lamda. that was so diplomatic and nice.

can you be my agony aunt. I have an 'issue'

Some folk think I'm being irresponsible because I dont save a lot of money. I earn as much as most of my friends, but they can afford cars, houses and one even has a Visa! A Visa I say! and this guy is practically a beggar. So what am I doing wrong? I dont take drugs or buy expensive clothes. I must admit I do like those sandwiches you get in newsagents when I could be buying the ingredients in tescos and making them myself at home, yunno. But is this the cause of my misfortune.

'm serious. What can I do to save money?

P.s I'm even getting married soon! I gotta save!

oh, and yea, I agree about the fred durst thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭clevenger

back to front...

i like the cut of your jib

enough or your jib cuttery:)

My gripe is that the station that advertises itself as an 'alternative' music station (at least it used to) now plays Blink182 far more regularly than is healthy.

Requests won't change a thing, the station is driven by kruddy requests that's the problem in the frst place. Also- request or not- the dj's don't even seem to play stuff they're not familiar with. If I request a half decent indie band like Simian, I am kloot or Turin Brakes (none of which are particularly non-radio-friendly) it's very unlikely that they'll play it. It took Phantom two years to cop on to David Kitt , I've tried requests they don't work.

I reckon the phantoms frequency is moving closer to 2fms every day, it's only a matter of time till there's some sort of merger. Pete Fenton anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭irokie

you wanna know something interesting?
    tough shi* anyway...
    i get great pahntom reception with i lean the aerial of my radio against my electric guitar...

and yes science nerds, i know why...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭BlackMagic

Originally posted by irokie

i get great pahntom reception with i lean the aerial of my radio against my electric guitar...

that doesnt work i did it and till have a shi* reception

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hello all,

Jaysus, we havent had this thread in weeks and weeks. But here I am, tea in hand and Foxs classic bar in tummy so here goes again. For those of you who have read this before, feel free to talk amoung yourselves.

Lets deal with Clevengers points one by one:

Gone To Seed? Dont agree there. Phantom, as any station will change musically over time. Basically the way it happens is that peoples tastes and trends change and a station to survive changes with them. Thus the reason BBC Radio 1 for instance isnt still playing the Tremeloes at primetime. The supposed "pop" you talk of is extremely popular, and despite your assertions, is very popular with a great many people who listen to Phantom. Should we say "No, thats not credible, you must listen to this". Right...and then we can pay the ESB bills with our credibility!

Supporting **** Irish Rock Give me examples here. Is this on the grounds of personal taste or on the same grounds that none of the currently popular "pop" bands you talk of should be played?

Jazz Indeed, Jazz. As with everything in life, stick with what you know, and what we know about jazz is about as much as the IRTC know about radio.

The Dandy Warhols Now youre just talking complete rubbish. Bohemian like you was playlisted by Phantom quite a long time ago and The Dandy Warhols even featured on one of the original phantasm ads for us when we were in the Temple Bar Music Centre which is neither today nor yesterday! That assertion is just wrong. And, I heard the Phantom play the Dandy Warhols this morning, and I played them at about 4.30pm today.

Playlisting Singles We, like other radio stations live in a land of broadcasting realities. Give us all the grief you want about "selling out to the man" etc. Its at best tired rhetoric. Also, the singles are often the most popular tracks. Remember, the aim of the game is to get as many listeners as possible by playing these tracks, then to use the loan of their ears to play them tracks they may not recognize, and we do!

And incidentally, Im not a big fan of a lot of the Nu-metal stuff either, but hey, its not a radio station aimed at me, its a radio station aimed at people of an overall musical interest in Dublin. I dont like all the records we play, but I love some of them. Trust me, as with anything in life, thats pretty good going!

Moving on to Gouty:

Phantom is all request; Nope, no points for that one. Phantom is far less request driven than it was 2 years ago. Back then on average 4 in 5 records was a request. Now its two. Fact wrong there Gouty.

Phantom now has a programme featuring the best of the 70s and 80s That would be the same programme thats been on Tuesday nights since the Spectrum days in 1996. Same time, same presenter, same audience. Wrong again Gouty.

X FM is the new black Indeed Gouty, indeed. They play to their audience, we play to ours. Simple as that.

The station is driven by cruddy requests So, they would be the requests from the audience then. Hmm. So Phantom is in trouble for playing the songs that the audience like? I knew we were doing something wrong. Must play songs audience dont like. Check, will do.

It took Phantom two years to cop on to David Kitt No, no it didnt. That just simply isnt true. You tell me when we should have been playing the first release from David Kitt, and we can take it from there.

Pete Fenton Class! All Im missing now is the hairy chest and the big salary. Maybe some day.....

Point being here, as always, that Phantom may not be everything that everyone would like it to be, but thats OK, because thats an impossibility. Phantom may not be as credible as you, or maybe even I would like, but I accept that in order to build a market for a radio station you make these choices. And, no, I make no apologies for that, and as I said, fire all the "sell out" stuff you like. And then go to all the bands we do help and tell them that Phantoms just a sell out station with cruddy requests playing ****e records. Bless.

Take care all, tea is finished and Im going to watch the fast show on the telly.

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Clevenger my darling this is quite simply alarming.

I urge you to reflect on that saying about "biting the hand that feeds you"

Holy God.

:(

You don't know how good you've got it. God forbid you should live in, i dunno, Borris-in-Ossory. What, praytell, would you do then?? jaze.....kids today, whah?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

here here clevenger on stating yer opinion in this day and age of arse kissing......
    i agree that there is too much playing of singles on some shows and some time there is the same people waiting till the next show to ask for the same song again.....
    'nother thing that is getting to me is the request precent of shows, Pete said back 2 years ago 4 outta 5 where request and its less now.....emmm it comes across as more to me now.
    first few songs on a show(DEPENDING ON DJ MIND!!!) are not requests then the rest are, and are many regular requesters with the same **** day in day out.
    the old text machine has speeded up requests so i dont know about less there but hey i dont take count.

and for supporting irish stuff hey they always play the REVS and their ads......:p :p

And off on an other track, was it since the last big "phantom is/isnt cool anymore" rant that the ad is gone from dublin's no1 alternative station to dublin's no1 rock station???or am i dreaming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dccarm

On the subject of requests, is it not just the case taht most of the requests played are songs that are playlisted anyway? I gave up sending in requests cos I never heard anything that I asked for. I'd hear them read out and then never hear the song. I'm starting to prefer Phantom during the day when the computer selects the songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Isn't it strange that people that are so passionate about fundamentaly the same things i.e music, can be so critical of each other.

A stupid comparison here, but I reckon politicians are the only other bunch of people that would debate at length like the music community in Ireland. I wonder if sports people are like this or maybe model aircraft builders etc....I think I have a point in here somewhere but am having trouble expressing it again ...ah well..

lets all continue to get stuck into each other again then...
    it goes on and on and on... Ariston..sing along everyone, or perhaps we can debate the musical merits of it and the level of credibility involved.

"always with the negativity, the negative vibes" Donald Sutherland is KING by the way!!

Phantom is not perfect but it beats the crap outta any other station that's for sure.

Viva Phantom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭mixer007

If you don't like it, don't listen to it.

I guess we'll be having this argument again next month. Pete, make sure you copy your post somewhere, you can use it again and again.

Phantom, for all it's worth, I think your a great bunch a lads. God, I love sayin' Mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

not that i like all on the phantom at the moment,i realise that
    IM NOT THE ONLY PERSON L;ISTENING TO PHANTOMFM

i'd prefer to hear new bands from around the globe-set up a worldwide thing where we send stuff to uk and they send us some demo's etc,but otherwise you have to hear new stuff;
    why dont you just listen tou all your cd's?

its more of a commentary on new music -american pop-punk tripe is my foe-to be perfectly honest i just ,these days rely on the 50p specials in freebird and it's even beta than listening to phantomfm cos you discover new bands.

"i take the rough with the smooth"...

Kelly's Heroe's, one of the best movies ever.
    Nice quote Trev.

Should be Kelly's Hero's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭andell

can phantom play Frank Black & the Catholics "Headache" as I havent heard it in ages.

Phanton beats the sh1t out of anything over here in London. Xfm used to be good but then they sold out to those wan£ers Capital.

• Advertisement

I hate you all.

now thats not very nice..........

Gouty, I think that's the best post I've ever read. I think it sums everything up.
    Gouty for President.

he's got my vote.

look what i started, why can't we all just get along

i love phantom and it does and always has kicked the ass of every radio station out there. i say pooh to credebility, if phantom just played bands nominated for the mercury prize it would be very boring.My record collection is cozy coz i can put it on and i wil like it but maybe, just maybe, i might want to hear somehting new now and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

I think we've come full circle. Bravo everybody.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

stop whinnin' yiz moany B A S T A R D S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONE LOVE:mad:

ferdi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

got to hand it to you pete well done...

Yeha i do agree you were playing dandy warhols years ago ehehe sur ethats where i first heard of them......

Back To Front would' you kindly stop the sarcasm and maybe listen to an argument from an objective point of view (yes thats right other people have point of views)

If the guy wants to ask those questions about phantom fair play to him he got his answer he can either take it or leave it.

eh but your song tag game is good......

don't you listen to them back to front, you gots it goin' on

keep up the sarcasm and stuff, the world needs you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

exactly;the world needs you;
    i mean there has to be some ignorance in the world,to make the reast of us look cleverer...why i occasionallly hang around UCD..

big smiley face....with a wink of seriousness

i'm only j!vin

• Advertisement

"cleverer"???? don't you mean "more clever" (to be read with serious sarcasm).

Advertisement