Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

password

• 30-01-2002 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have forgotten the password for my username on Windows
    98 (when you log in first). How can i bypass the password and get rid of it without deleting or losing files stored
    under that username?
    I would appreciate any assistance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

You can log in by hitting the escape key - do a search for *.pwl files then - and delete them (this will remove all passwords)

I think this should work - been a long time since I used Win 98

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 feic_sake

thanks i'll try it and see what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

i would back up the .pwd files because if that doesnt work you can easily crack the .pwd files with one of the many hacking utilities avaliable online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

what sort of permissions/rights do you have to the machine?

I believe you should be able to simply hit cancel at the logon but you may not be able to access some network resources.

you could get poledit.exe (policy editor) install it on the machine, remove the policies etc and then you should be flying, I'm not sure there is any way of getting rid of the log on to win98 prompt on startup, is there?

It's always bugged me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

yup you can get rid of it if you delete all *.pwl files and when you are prompted for a user name and password.. enter a username and leave password blank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

S/He must have sorted it by now - hasn't come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Took my brother and sister ages to cop that 98 dosent have any security - idiots!!

Oh my god its a pasword screen - what do I do :)

Advertisement