Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest Eircon Buffonery

• 11-11-2000 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

I got an unsolicited phone call from an eircon drone yesterday offering me some call deal or other. After this meaningless business was concluded (youll save up to 2%!!!) i was asked was there anything i wanted to comment about. Red rag to a bull.
    I wont bore you with the usual auld ****e about flat rate calls and ISDN just the important stuff.
    "Why is there STILL no broadband here?"
    "There is"
    "No not ISDN, i mean REAL broadband, DSL which youve had for the last year and a half and sat on"
    "Thats available sir, from the hispeed section"
    "No its not, ive asked lots of times"
    "Yes its available now, heres a number to ring"
    *slight pause*
    "uhh, ok thanks"
    So i ring the number (which is the hispeed dept)
    "Hi, ive just been told that DSL or something similar is availble"
    "Yes, we have ISDN available"
    "sigh thought so, when will dsl be rolled out"
    "oh were still testing it, let me ask"
    *pause*
    "Probably as soon as the end of next year"
    At this point i went into full rant mode for about 30 mins smile.gif
    There ye have it, As soon as the END OF NEXT YEAR! WOO, cant ****in wait frown.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

"Why is there STILL no broadband here?"
    "There is"

Give that man a slap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Give the guy a chance, this is not a tech
    guy who know all this info. this is some poor
    guy trying to make a liveing, he jsut knows
    what eircon tell him, and can not be blamed
    for not knowing info that eircon will not
    tell people about.

Coyote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The longer you stay on the line the more money they make.

And I remember Devore doing a little story about how DSL will probably be a while away because of the need to sell the ISDN stock (or something along that lines).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

It wouldnt be so bad if I could actually GET an ISDN line !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Gonzo Wrote:
    they sed £99 for hi-speed, they billed me £80 for the install..

They charged you 81 pounds 81p PLUS Vat which is 99 quid you muppet Gonzo smile.gif

They also charge you the next two months rental in advance so even if you get your phone bill the day after your ISDN is installed theres 170 odd quid on there before you even make a call.

Having said that it is good for games and voice over IP and anything else latency related, but for downloads it isn't worth the extra money. Not when you can leave SNL on over night.

I got mine installed 3 working days after I ordered it even though I was also told 6 weeks.

Blade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

yanks invade and id go spare . they cant even vote for president wright ffs comeon but true we might get a upgrade of all communication devices . o well all im looking is for a flatrate 24/7 connection with high download speeds

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I think its all part of big plan
    what that plan is I don't rightly know.

All do I do know the a group of trained chimps run eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally posted by elexes:
    . o well all im looking is for a flatrate 24/7 connection with high download speeds

Oh is that all! smile.gif Are you sure you wouldn't like fast upload speeds and eternal life as well smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

As much as I'd normally agree, I have to say Eircom were pretty cool when it came to my ISDN installation last month.

When I rang to order it I was told 6 weeks, told them I needed it in 3 (I work abroad...Handy excuse). 2 days later the engineer rang to check the details and confirm they would have it done in 2 weeks.... The next day he rang to say he'd be there the following day at 10am. Which he was. It was all done in 30 mins.
    Now, how they went and f'd up my account for 2 days after upgrading it, that's another story - but thumbs up to the Engineer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

My Cable costs $29 a month and took 1 hour to install and the guys came 3 days after ordering it.

I think America should invade Ireland, you might get cheap cable out of it. smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah, i agree, their ISDN service is very good, once installed we get better pings to uk servers than most uk isdner's plus my instatllation was cheaper then they quote me.. they sed £99 for hi-speed, they billed me £80 for the install..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

fup cable........ we could get xdsl out of it smile.gif

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

andy where you given the same bull about no ports?

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

Advertisement