Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic Card Problem

• 31-01-2002 11:01am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

got a new (2nd hand) board and processor there during the week.
    The board and processor were bought of different people.

Installed my board processor cards etc.

Booted up PC, no beeps but not a kick out of the monitor.
    I know the monitor works fine.

The card is about 2 years old, it is a DIAMOND VIPER V770 32MB AGP.

My problem is possible that the board states that it supports AGP 2/4

I would not think that my card is either 2 or 4, is this my problem or could you suggest something else.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

It dosent matter if its 2 or 4 on the agp slot thats just like a max speed thingy , it can support anything lower.

Double check your card in another system, the try an alternative agp card in this one , you may have an incompatibility problem or a problem with the slot.

NOTE: Make sure card is seated properly, remove all other cards wile testing (makes it easier) and most boards will give beeps if no video card is inserted (hey I've no video card - type of thing).

Dont forget that faulty cpus and ram can do this to you too!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I took out all the cards and booted up but got now beeps at all???

I then reseated the video card but no dice.

I am stumped on this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

About those missing beeps.. your mbd does in fact have a built in speaker right? If not then your case wiill have one and you should have that connected.. if so and your sure you should be getting beeps believe it or not it could be even the psu.. How old is the psu compared to the mbd.. i mean if you had and old P2 board with the psu you are using then it would work but a PIII and above require more juice.. not voltage though.. amps.. same goes for an athlon system (more so infact)

I had this when i upgraded my parents system from an AMDK6 300mhz (PII 400 in intel comparison i think) Anyway set it up and nothing.. no beeps no post.. made no sense as i knew the board and cpu tested fine.. brought them up to a friends who had other parts to troubleshoot with and he used a different psu (did not bring my own) straight away it booted up before we tried troubleshooting the chip or video card.. so check it.. If you are just doing a slight upgrade then your psu may have enough power in which case ignore this and check the video card and chip etc..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ok

The old PC was a PIII 550, with 3MB TNT AGP card. 1GB of RAM

I had the RAM in the wrong way around first off so this causes a beep. Changed it around and then it was spot on.

The board is an IWILL K226R, the manufacturer states that it will take max 1.2 Athlon, I put a 1.4 Athlon but this should make no difference.

I am stuck big time, I bought the board and processor 2nd hand and now am wondering if I was taken for a ride! Just my luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

DO NOT put a cpu into the motherboard that is faster than the manufacturer rates it for...... I can't stress this enough. MAKE SURE the bios you are running off supports the cpu you put into it. To do otherwise is at your own peril.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Ask the fellah you got it off if he had an AGP or PCi card in it before.
    Could just be that the BIOS is set to initialise a PCi gfx card.
    Pop one in (any VGA one - borrow one if need be) go into the BIOS, adn tell it to initialise an AGP gfx card first.
    Then shutdown and pop your own AGP card back in, start up and see if you've a picture.

I;m not too sure if this will definately sort the problem, as I thought a BIOS will merely go to the PCI to check if there's a card there, and if none is found it will then go to the AGP. Or maybe not.

g'luck with it :)

Thanks lads for the advise, I am a bit sickened now, bad feeling I have been rode!! hope not !!

Went home, and tried a PCI video card and different monitor, still no dice

Had a look at the memory, it says on it 256MB DDR 266MHZ, NOW the manual states,

Bus Frequency
    Supports DDR266/200 MHz FSB

MEMORY
    supports DDR DRAM
    SUPPORT 100/133m MEMORY FREQUENCY

Is this my problem??

Cheers

Advertisement