Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Swap file

• 15-11-2000 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

Lo,

I have windows ME, and 512megs of ram. Every time I open a game I notice the swap file go's between 200 and 260megs in size. I am wondering if that is normal for the file to get that big?

Also, because I'm not too clear on the subject can someone tell me briefly what exatly it does, and would it be better to disable it ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It swaps the unused yet important parts of memory to disk and reclaims them later when you need them again.

and yes it is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

Windows 98/Millennium users

Before you begin doing anything else you'll want to edit your system.ini (Click on Start, Run type in system.ini & hit Enter). Under the [386Enh] heading Add the line ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1 (Make sure to leave a blank line between this & the next heading). This can significantly reduce Virtual memory use as it makes Windows use RAM before the Swapfile. This is particularly beneficial for those with 128MB RAM or more. Save the changes & reboot your system for the change to take effect.

it works smile.gif

Advertisement