Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Processor and Board question

Options
  • 31-01-2002 11:11am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

Have a board, I will K266R, board says will take a max of 1.2 Athlon
    I have a 1.4 Athlon, will this work with the board???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

The processor will probably work if you flash the bios rom.

It should run at 1.2 first, but after a bios flash it'll run at full speed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Do you reckon KYRO?? Someone else was adamant that the board would not take it???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

is it a 1.4 Thunderbird of XP???

A Bios Flash might work. I don't know tbh, cos I've never read up on the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Who was adamant that the board would not take a 1.4 chip? Do you think that they know a lot about computers, just because they say "I know a lot about computers"?

Step 1: Go to www.google.com
    Step 2: Type in "Iwill motherboards homepage"
    This takes you to this page.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=iwill+motherboards+homepage

The first page is in chinese, ignore. The second page has the title "Iwill HOME PAGE".

I think it might be an idea to pay them a visit, after all, THEY MADE THE BOARD.

Step 3: Once at the home page, we click on "support and service", logically enough, we want some support for the motherboard

Step 4: Once at the support page, we choose the motherboard, in this case the Iwill KK-266R. Since it is a raid motherboard, it is in the raid motherboards drop down menu. Note also the link to the KK266 Motherboard FAQ.

Among the vast amount of information here, we see the latest bios updates, and some information about what features these bios updates provide.

KK266-R for Product No is 35102A, BIOS Date Code: Oct.22.2001
    1.Update Micro code for Athlon XP
    KK266-R for Product No is 35102A, BIOS Date Code: Jun.22.2001
    1.Added to support "Palomino" processor.
    KK266-R for Product No is 35102A, BIOS Date Code: May.15.2001
    1.Added to support AMD 1.4GHz processor.
    2.Display GHz for all CPU above 1GHz.
    3.Update for AMD's request.
    4.Update CPU ratio table.

Ah, we see that it does indeed support the tbird 1.4, we just have to download the bios update, and update the bios. We also note that the board supports the athlon xp.

That took about half a minute to do.
    I also think that this thread should be on the technology board, after all, what hardware are you tweaking here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Now that's what I call a helpful reply..........:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Genius Gerry,

done that, have the tee-****e etc etc etc:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

gerry there is two version of the K266R afair, either you or him may have the wrong board.

The kk266 is just the same board without raid. The kk266-plus and kk266-plus are newer revisions of the same board, they don't even need a bios update to support the 1.4 gig tbird.

Apologies typo!!

KA266-R

Processor was blown when I got it!!

Well, the procedure for checking what cpu it takes remains the same. I'm quite sure it takes all the athlon cpu's though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement