Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cpu upgrade question.

• 31-01-2002 12:57pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I currently have a p3 600mhz (100fsb) slot 1 cpu and am looking to upgrade the cpu.
    The mobo is an intel ws 440bx and im not sure if it supports larger slot 1 processors.I know that coppermine p3s are available in a slot 1 but am not sure if this board supports coppermine cpu`s(apparently the difference if the voltage required is different).Ive been offered a p3 1.0 gig in a slot 1 for 130euro.The guy says I can try it if want to.What I want to know is if I can damage my mobo or the cpu by trying it in my pc.Ill have to pay for it if I damage it.
    My other option is a "slocket upgrade".
    Do these work???Can I expect any problems with this upgrade?
    And what do people recommend?Would a 1.2 celeron be a noticable upgrade for my setup.(p3 600,320 mb ram geforce 2 ti 64mb)
    I can get a slocket for about 30euro and a 1.1 CELERON for 76 sterling.Any help would be grateful.
    thx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

umm if he sends you a duff cpu and you say it dont work he can say it was working and now its broke so you pay for it.. unless hes a mate that is...

A Slocket will work but only as far as your mbd/bios will allow.. best thing get the name/model of your mbd and check the specs on the manufacturers website and check for bios upgrades.. might allow you to see the 1 gig and maybe higher.. Or buy a new mbd is the only other option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Richie -

As Saruman said : best bet is to check the specs on your mobo at its manufacturer's site, to find out what range of chips it is capable of handling. You mentioned the Intel chipset....but is it an actual Intel mobo???

As for the celery chips....I believe a 1.2 Celery would be about 50% faster than your P3 in the worst case and often a lot better. I wouldnt swear to that though ;)

jc

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

since the system is a gateway(and they have pulled out of europe) the tech support is subcontracted out now.And these "technicians"havent a clue about this question,which is why i posted here.I was wondering if anyone else has this board and had successfully upgraded it.Ive checked the intel website and it only lists support for processors up to 600mhz but the site is dated sometime in 2000(when 600was the max) and hasnt been updated since.So I have no way of knowing what cpu I can use.The board is manufactured by JABIL on behalf of Intel but their site is a corporate site only and offer support through Intel or gateway.I have the latest bios.Does the bios contain info for cpu voltage??Is i was to get a bios tweaking program could I check the supported voltages with this program?If the correct voltage for coppermine cpus is supported then I assume I could be ok using them.I think the voltage required for a coppermine cpu is 1.6 as opposed to 2.2 for katmai chips.

If its a Jabil Tabor 3 (it probably is if it does not have integrated audio) then yes it will take a coppermine.. Gateway sold it as such up until an 850mhz but i would imagine it would go higher.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thx saruman,I checked the board and there is no integrated audio.It definately is a tabor 3(intel part no 4000510)based on the ws440bx chipset.I found a thread on sysopt.com which says it will safely take a p3 1000(which a few people have tried) so im gonna try it.Ill let you know what happens.
    Lets hope and pray.Once again thx for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Sorry richie, I tried searching for info on this board and came up with nothing. Saruman says it works up to 850mhz, note that this is based on a 100mhz bus. I'm sure you know this already, but make sure that 1 gig chip is a 1000e ie its a 100mhz fsb chip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭MÓC

try reading this guide. You may be able to glean something from it.

http://www4.tomshardware.com/howto/01q4/011005/pcupgrade-01.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Ask them what the newest bios version is and what improvements it supports. You will be talking to someone in the states, but Gateway still exists, just ask them, it's their job to tell you.

www.gateway.com

Typedef there is no talking to anyone in the states anymore and no Gateway Europe does not exist, not since September.. all Gateway employees went to another out source company and they handle all the calls from Swords (Dublin for all ye non dubs!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

ftp://ftp.gateway.com/pub/hardware_support/bios/pentium/4w4sb0x0/7508736.exe
    http://www.gateway.com/support/drivers/output.asp?curPlatform=Desktop&curSystem=Not+Desktop+Specific&curCommodity=BIOS&curOS=undefined&curManufacturer=undefined&curBios=undefined&txtPartNumb=4000510

Available on the Web at www.gateway.com/support are the following: technical support for Gateway products, live chat with a Gateway Trusted Guide, files for downloading, and e-mail support. Additional technical support can be obtained using our Fax on Demand system at (800) 846-4526 and our Automated Troubleshooting System at (800) 846-2118.

=======================
    Tabor Motherboard P14 BIOS
    P14
    Driver Part Number: 7508736
    10/31/2000
    =======================

Table of Contents
    =======================
    Overview
    Identification
    Installation
    Removal
    Troubleshooting
    Reason for Update
    Applicable Part Numbers
    =======================

Overview

This is the P14 BIOS for the TABOR motherboard.

Note: Do not install this BIOS unless you were instructed to do so by a Gateway technician.

Identification

To confirm that this is the correct BIOS update for your motherboard, follow these steps:

If the computer is turned off:

1. Turn on the computer, and on your keyboard, repeatedly press the F1 key to enter the BIOS Setup Utility.

2. After the BIOS Setup Utility opens, on the Main tab, look at the bottom of the screen for the current BIOS version. The version needs to read 4W4SB0X0.xxx.xxxx.Pxx (where Pxx is the current revision number).

3. If BIOS 4W4SB0X0.xxx.xxxx.Pxx is displayed, you have the correct BIOS update. Press the F10 key to exit the BIOS Setup Utility.

If the computer is turned on and in Windows:

1. From the Start menu, click Shut Down. In the Shut Down Windows dialog box, click Restart, and then click Yes.

2. When the computer restarts, on your keyboard, repeatedly press the F1 key to enter the BIOS Setup Utility.

3. After the BIOS Setup Utility opens, on the Main tab, look at the bottom of the screen for the current BIOS version. The version needs to read 4W4SB0X0.xxx.xxxx.Pxx (where Pxx is the current revision number).

4. If BIOS 4W4SB0X0.xxx.xxxx.Pxx is displayed, you have the correct BIOS update. Press the F10 key to exit the BIOS Setup Utility.

Installation

Preparing your computer

Before updating your computer's BIOS, enter the current BIOS Setup Utility and write down each of the current settings, in the event that this information is needed again after the upgrade.

Copying the files

1. On your screen, double-click the BIOS update that you have downloaded. The files self-extract and copy into folder C:\Drivers\7508736.

2. On your screen, double-click the My Computer icon.

3. In the My Computer dialog box, double-click C:, double-click the Drivers folder, and then double-click the 7508736 folder.

4. In the 7508736 folder, click Edit, and then click Select All.

5. In the 7508736 folder, click Edit, and then click Copy.

6. Close all windows.

7. Place a formatted, blank disk in the floppy disk drive.

8. On your screen, double-click the My Computer icon.

9. In the My Computer dialog box, double-click A:.

10. In the A: folder, click Edit, and then click Paste. The files are copied to the disk.

Performing the update

1. From the Start menu, click Shut Down. In the Shut Down Windows dialog box, click Restart, and then click Yes. Leave the disk in the floppy disk drive while the computer restarts.

2. When the computer restarts, an Intel Flash Memory Update Utility screen appears. Press any key on the keyboard.

3. In the Main Menu, select Update flash memory area from a file, and then press the ENTER key.

4. In the Update Flash Area window, select Update System BIOS, and then press ENTER.

5. In the Enter Path\Filename window, press the DOWN ARROW key once to select P14-0019.BIO, and then press ENTER.

6. In the Please Confirm BIOS Version Information window, select Continue with programming, and then press ENTER.

7. The BIOS is upgraded. When complete, a warning displays to let you know the computer will restart. Remove the disk from the floppy disk drive, and then press ENTER.

8. The computer restarts. As the computer restarts, begin pressing the F1 key in one-second intervals. If you perform this step correctly, you see the BIOS Setup Utility menu. If Windows loads normally, repeat this step.

9. After the BIOS Setup Utility opens, press F10 to exit, and then ENTER.

Removal

There is not a way to remove the BIOS. If you are experiencing issues after installing this version, you can download the previous BIOS version from the Gateway Web site, and then install it over the top of this edition.

Troubleshooting

If you have difficulties installing this BIOS, download the file again, and then follow again the installation steps that were given earlier.

Reason for Update

This BIOS upgrade resolves some minor technical issues.

Applicable Part Numbers

4000402, 4000418, 4000432, 4000434, 4000446, 4000472, 4000484, 4000485, 4000501, 4000502, 4000504, 4000509, 4000510, 4000532, 4000533, 4000585, 4000586, 4000608, 4000614

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Dear oh Dear.

Advertisement