Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stupid star trek characture development

• 31-01-2002 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

i dont know if many of you will agree with this or not but im gonna say it anyway,

last night i watched the new "enterprise" for the first time, i was hoping that the producers had learned from DS9 and just went for action and story. but (........wait for it!) they didnt.
    when DS9 went into the dominion wars the ratings peaked, everyone wanted to see what would happen, who would come out on top and what strange twist in the plot there would be.it was great, i loved it and so did thousands of others.

anyway to get to the point, is anyone else sick of star trek doing sad, stupid stories that are based around one character per episode? i mean star trek has the kind of following to warrant it to be more like an action packed soap opera kind of storyline, rather than basing there show on short stories.

im not saying turn it into a Home and Away or anything!! just that, the writers for this program have the talent to make an epic show running through several series with a deep involving story-line, a strong cast, a lot of action and of course big ships!!:)

does anyone agree?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I disagree but I have a headache from reading your post, I'll reply and give you reasons later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

On the early DS9 and Voyager yes i agree.. dont agree on Enterprise though.. stories so far have been a little different.. and the tension between the Klingons and federation is starting to appear, which remember will turn to war and also Romulans to appear. So stop Bitchin and watch it.. we are what.. 5 episodes in now? Have patience...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

U want Star Trek to turn into a soap opera! oh hell no!
    I like it the way it is, although sometimes they just abondon story lines which kinda pisses me off at times but i'm still very happy to watch it as it is now... To hell soap operas... tehy suck ass :p

REF: Example of when a story was started and abandoned:

Just watched an episode of TnG yesterday, it was the episode where the little creatures sieze control of star fleet well anyway at the end of the episode Picard asks Data if he has found out what message they were trying to send... and he reports it was a becon. Now the way i took that was, at some future date there may be another attempt at an invasion but afaik they never returned to that story line! :confused: got a bit pee'd off about that. But tiz only a minor thing so i got over it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

ah but star trek is not finished yet, perhaps they plan to release a whole new series outlining the war against a race of creatures which can take over bodies and make people do what they want, while giving the bodies almost super human strength.

possible i suppose :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

And also eat worms, yum

Bitchin, some of the best episodes I've ever watched have been based around a single character; the episode in which Picard is given the memories of a life-time from a probe, but is really only unconcious for 20 minutes and the DS9 episode with Bashir and the telepathic being, the station acting as his brain etc. Great stuff altogether.

Originally posted by azezil
    U want Star Trek to turn into a soap opera! oh hell no!
    I like it the way it is, although sometimes they just abondon story lines which kinda pisses me off at times but i'm still very happy to watch it as it is now... To hell soap operas... tehy suck ass :p

REF: Example of when a story was started and abandoned:

Just watched an episode of TnG yesterday, it was the episode where the little creatures sieze control of star fleet well anyway at the end of the episode Picard asks Data if he has found out what message they were trying to send... and he reports it was a becon. Now the way i took that was, at some future date there may be another attempt at an invasion but afaik they never returned to that story line! :confused: got a bit pee'd off about that. But tiz only a minor thing so i got over it ;)

Thats cos they don't exist anymore well not since section 31 found out about them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

the new series is bollix tbh, they'll never learn .... they'll just churn out the same old crap again and again. The current writers are weak bitches who regurgitate **** again and again. The episodes usually go along the lines of :

come to a new planet/space port or whatever, try to help someone or something, fail or suceed [insert moral of the story here] e.g things are not always as they appear.

come to a new planet, solve an argument that has been going on for 100s of years in 45 minutes(wish they'd sort out NI for us), [insert moral of the stody here and or wave an american flag in the background]

have an episode on the holodeck where everyone dresses up like ponces and the safety always always always is disconnected meaning they can be killed.

with the current weak writers they're not even doing these things well anymore, there's a lot of sentimental bull**** in there that is just plain weak. The show is long dead in my opinion, it was used up and burned out after TNG and everything after TNG is just sickeningly shyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

and m1ke says

FLAME ON!!!!!!

Mike your full of
    Originally posted by m1ke
    bollix .... the same old crap ......**** ....bull****..... shyte.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

nah, he is right, although i wouldn't be so harsh, DS9 and VOY occcasionally stumbled across some nice storylines.

I loved the Voyager 2 parter Year of Hell - very implausible but very entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Skyclad

Aint that why ST is so well liked...you cna just drop in for an episode and not need to know anything. If you want to watch good sci-fi go watch bab 5, by far and away the best stuff that Ive seen. But by god dont miss an episode or youll be lost...

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by azezil

Same ep I was thinking of (watched it, thought, so didn't the little pink things get the message or something? Get their connection terminated for not paying the bill?)

You know that lot though - they might go back and use the storyline in twenty years (like they did occasionally with the series and movies - obviously with the Space Seed ep)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭MelKor

Originally posted by Fidelis

Bitchin, some of the best episodes I've ever watched have been based around a single character; the episode in which Picard is given the memories of a life-time from a probe, but is really only unconcious for 20 minutes and the DS9 episode with Bashir and the telepathic being, the station acting as his brain etc. Great stuff altogether.

ok maybe you think im wrong here but that is exactly what i dont like, i mean you watch that episode and then in the next episode hes all better and has nothing to say on the matter.

and another thing i think ye picked the soap opera thing up wrong, what i meant was have a whole series continuing from one episode to the next.

anyway if you still dissagree lets just leave it but honestly i thought more people would agree with me... oh well, i cant be right all the time :D

azezil what ep are you talking about.. is it the one where the parasites infiltrated the federation and the breathing hole thing in the neck was the only visible evidence without scanning? Yeah that was kind of left there.. could be good for a whole new spin off series where they take over an advanced race and come back to deal with the federation.. sort of like Stargate which is almost and sometimes better than Startrek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

i stoped watching it on monday, about half way, it was pure crap.
    the series actually gets interesting after epsiode 8 go look at for that one, up to then nothing happens.

DS9 in my opionion was excellent, because it had strong charactors, all with backgrounds, i mean only the doctor was green, but on this thing they are all new, it was the game with voyager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

My sisters watching it in the states. It doesn't get much better ... just tired rehashed scripts. Now smallville ... there's a good show

what do you mean re hashed?

is your sister a trekie or just one of those "oh look star trek is one, change the chanel" people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

what do you mean rehashed?

Come on this is Star Trek we're talkin about! Can you honestly say you haven't seen a hundred Trek episodes that didn't steal pivotal plot elements from previous shows?

So far Enterprise is no better than Voyager was. Maybe they should have called it "Star Trek Lite" as it probably has 1 new idea per episode.

I loved STNG and DS9 but this show is making the same mistakes Voyager made - there isn't one character on the show that has anything original to offer.

I hope it gets better ... otherwise we're in for another seven years of mind-numbing storylines

Also my sister is a dyed-in-the-wool trekkie - if she doesn't like it - there's something whiffy goin on.

examples...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I'd have to admint that the latest episode aired in Ireland, the paranoia one with the caves was abysmal. I could see the ending coming after the first 20 minutes. I was really hoping for a totally different Star Trek universe.

Even the opening credits of each show remind you that this is not like the other series, and yet it so is :(

Bring back DS9, I wub you Garak. /me wipes a tear from his eye.

Well its another series about a voyage of exploreation, there's bound to be simularities! But i like it cause it gives a grounding for the years to come.

However if they did a series about a war, maybe the dominion war? that'd be new and interesting :)

Dominion war been there done that... however the Borg need to invade the federation fully! Im sure the queens pissed off after Janeway kicked her ass so a full scale invasion is in order! A series about that would be good. Bring Species 8472 into it too as that one was left open!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Whatever happened to those insecty things in TNG? Does anyone remember the episode where Picard beams down to Starfleet HQ only for some of Starfleet's top brass to try to stick an insect back his gob and turn him into "one of them"?

The one where Picard and Riker vaporise Remick, showing his ribs with all the little insects inside, but too late to stop him from sending a message "to the stars"... ?

Or was I hallucinating at the time (or something)?
    Gadget

nothing happened.. was left open with them sending a distress call to their own kind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Thought as much...

That being the case, assuming people don't just yell "corny!" and Paramount invest in more "special" effects for 'em, could they be a contender for something?

Gadget

Originally posted by Slydice
    examples...?

*sigh*s

Advertisement