Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ram not being detected fully.....

• 31-01-2002 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

I recently bought myself 512 mb of PQI 133mhz ram to upgrade my system from 128. was going to have the 512 in one pc and give my 128 mb stick to another pc.
    Problem is though, that the motherboad wont recognise all of the ram. Its a single 512 dimm.
    My motherboard, a Soyo 6vba 133, according to the manual and the online documentation, is capable of taking upto 1.5 gig of ram. i.e. 2 of the slots take 512 max and the other 2 take 256 max.
    When i put the memory into dimm slots 3 and 4 it is only detected as 128 mb (quarter of what it should be!!) and in slots 1 and 2 it is detected as 256 mb.
    Anyone have any ideas on why its not recognising the full amount?
    im thinking a bios flash might do it, but the last time i tried to flash the bios, it stalled half way through and i was just glad when the system booted up again.
    i tested the memory in another machine aswell, and it detected it fully as 512 mb, so the actual ram itself is fine.
    thanks........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I think a bios upgrade is best thing to do.. though could be just one of those little things that this particular manufactureres mem not compatible? unlikely but i know its possible as i have seen it before. Most likely bios though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

If you do a BIOS flash and it messes up, if your in warranty dont tell them youve flashed it or thats the end.

But if it can support the dimm its worth a shot.

What about just the 512 on its own in various slots ? (ignore this line - because I cant read)

It could be just plain incompatibility , I know some kingston ram will not work in my mates machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

just stick it in and wobble it about a bit.
    always works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Thread cleaned of useless banter. Moving to General Technology as its not Hardware Modding or Tweaking.

Advertisement