Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL Six Months Away?

Options
  • 31-01-2002 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

I was told by a guy who works for Eircom and would know the lowdown that he thinks ADSL may be six months or more away. He reckons it will take that long at least before it's out of court. Has anyone else heard anything?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Either you heard wrong or the guy in Eircom is talking out of his hat meglome - ADSL isn't in court, LLU is, or at least the pricing for LLU. The i-Stream holdup remains a "standoff", as the press like to refer to it. Something which in my opinion simply shouldn't be allowed to happen.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I appreciate that it isn't ADSL itself that is in court but the result is the same at the end of the day.

Anyway this guy does know what he's talking about. It may be his personal opinion and he may be wrong but he is directly involved with ADSL in Eircom at more than the peon level.

Don't shoot the messenger here lads :)

I appreciate that it isn't ADSL itself that is in court but the result is the same at the end of the day.

I'm sorry, but it's not meglome. The current court battle between Eircom and the ODTR (and now some OLO's) is in relation to the pricing for local loops, and only local loops, and has nothing to do with the out-of-court battle on the pricing of bitstream services, which use a completely different pricing regime. Of course, Eircom may base some business decisions with regard to bitstream on the LLU case, but they are essentially two completely different issues.

Anyway this guy does know what he's talking about. It may be his personal opinion and he may be wrong but he is directly involved with ADSL in Eircom at more than the peon level.

Perhaps he is, but the fact that he related the court battle to the bitstream problem so closely is questionable to me.

Don't shoot the messenger here lads

Just telling you like it is meglome.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

ok lets ignore the whole court thing for a moment, that is completely my wording...

But this guy really should know what he's talking about and he is very unofficially saying that for one reason or another he thinks that it will drag out for six months or more. This is quite vague on details but it is his strongly held opinion. I can ask again but…

Perhaps I was a bit forceful, but I dislike the FUD that comes out of Eircom intensely, whether officially or unofficially. And I've heard it all before - how many times have we had people on this forum saying, "I know a guy and he says $this, $that or the $other"?

I'm certainly not doubting this guy is right. The bitstream argument could go on for a very long time, because it looks unlikely that the ODTR and Eircom are going to come to an amicable agreement. But he could be wrong too.

Hearsay is always problematical. I'm a skeptic, a cynic, I tend to discount it. I don't mean any offense when I do that, I just prefer factual information.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

I know no one i eircom but put yourselfs in their shoes to roll out ADSL is going to cost them a fortune at best their catchment area due to ADSL limitations and acient wireing is going to be very small (no way for the country folk)add to this what i guess (:D) will be a high maintance service add to this better technology being planted all over the country.Eircoms wisest move would be to wait until the fibre cables have been laid then get in line to buy bandwidth off the ESB like every other telco in this country.So 6 months is probably not even gonna happen.It would be intersting to know where all of eircoms black fibre is located i wonder if you would see it lineing up with where the ESB is laying its cables could be all apart of a cunning plan :D

Stone

I know no one i eircom but put yourselfs in their shoes to roll out ADSL is going to cost them a fortune at best their catchment area due to ADSL limitations and acient wireing is going to be very small (no way for the country folk)

That's always been a factor though, it's nothing new, and other countries have dealt with the same limitations. Yes, country folk ain't going to be able to get it, but an awful lot of people in large urban areas will. The only cost, if the line is up to scratch, is DSLAMS and DSL modems. The subscriber pays for the modem, so all Eircom have to do is create the demand to make the DSLAM viable. Sure, the backhaul will have to be upgraded, but that's a valuable investment anyway, and Eircom are in a much better position to upgrade backhaul than most others. So yes, it will be cost money, but I can't see it being entirely beyond their means. A slow, steady, carefully managed rollout will pay for itself.

add to this what i guess (:D) will be a high maintance service add to this better technology being planted all over the country.

The local loop is a bit icky, I'll grant you that, but I'm not sure Eircom's backbone is all that bad. Fergus?

Eircoms wisest move would be to wait until the fibre cables have been laid then get in line to buy bandwidth off the ESB like every other telco in this country.

Well, that's not going to happen, and I don't see a particular reason why it would have to happen. As far as I'm aware, Eircom have fibre to every exchange in the country right now, so why would they want to buy capacity off someone else? Again, yes, it'll have to be upgraded, but managed rollouts will cater for that. (Eircom are of course probably using this as their excuse for their proposed pricing, but I think they're trying to ride it meself.)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

damn dahamasta, your post ruined my chance to put in a 'im with stupid' gif:P

Advertisement