Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Digital Service For Cork

Options
  • 31-01-2002 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭

Read this in todays "Inside Cork" .....

Southcoast Community Television (SCTV) has unveiled plans to offer a digital television service to cork in the near future.
    ...........................................................................................
    March of this year will see the end of the exclusitivity deal which has seen SCTV prevented from seeking customers outside its 11,000 strong Carrigaline.Therefore the company will be seeking customers throughout cork.

"Also,the technology we're using will involve a small aerial or mini-dish with an addressable system,and will give people the chance to receive the internet as well",John Hurley (Chairman of SCTV) concluded.

Well,the more options the better for Cork as we are the largest county in Ireland and often ignored in various new developements in the telecoms area! :(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

God, I'm bursting bubbles all over the shop. Perhaps SCTV is advancing the process, and that would be fantastic, but people should know that this isn't something that can be "unveiled" now. They've had these plans for at least a year now, if not two. Ask in the ICDG forum, they'll be able to tell you more about this.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Ask in the ICDG forum, they'll be able to tell you more about this.

hehe , theres hasnt been a post there in months ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Good thing i might be moving to Cork eh? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Reason for cautious hope? Googling found this info:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~sctv/digital.htm

As I understand from the site, digital television home installations are proposed to go online from Sept. 02, Internet access is 2nd phase with no time frame given.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Southcoast have done wonderful things down here in Cork, and service a hugh population, so I hate to criticise them, especially when they are non-profit, but the inability to even get their own server, leaves me with more than a few doubts that they can become an ISP and get an internet service up and running anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Rebel18

Unfortunetly Etain Doyle has not made up her mind on granting the licence, so I wouldnt be holding my breath for the service to be in carrigaline let alone cork by April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Forget Southcoast - it's a pissy one way system.

ie - You still get screwed for phone charges. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by timod
    but the inability to even get their own server, leaves me with more than a few doubts that they can become an ISP and get an internet service up and running anytime soon.

My sentiments exactly. There is always the possibility that they may resell someone elses service (a la retransmitting sky digital which they are doing now). If they do decide to set themselves up as an ISP, I hope to god they have a 1800 number for tech support because your up-time will probably be no higher than 2%.

Either way, don't hold your breath for any kind of DTV or internet service from them, because as said already they have been trying to do this for quite some time.

Advertisement