Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Funeral Song

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

A Million Miles Away by Rory Gallagher or

Who Wants to Live Forever by Queen for a good ol' weep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Originally posted by andell
    btw .... the tune for "the lion sleeps tonight" was ripped from Adam and the Ants....from the prince Charming album, called S.E.X.

Hate to be pendantic (actually I'm lying, I *love* being pedantic), but it's not - it's a cover of a 60s tune by a band called The Tokens, except they called it "The Wimoweh".

But it does sound similar to SEX awwight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭andell

well throw me down on the ground and shoot me......

I'll be damned........:)

serves me right for trying to be one of those "i know everything about music and think i am superior because i know things like what was taken off what 80's album and you don't kinda person"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭harVee

Skippy the bush kangaroo.

"skippy, skippy, skippy the bush kangaroo"

It's so addictive, everyone would be humming as the coffin was lowered.
    A classic, surely.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I want to start my funeral service with a video wall...
    Start the Star Wars opening theme.
    Roll a history of my life on the credits Star Wars style.

When I'm being send to the incinerator (I wanna be cremated - not sure why, I just do), I want Rage Against The Machine's Bombtrack playing ("Burn burn, yeah you're gonna burn!").

And to top it all off, I want something incredibly daft and completely contagious to be in people heads as they leave - maybe Always Look on the Bright Side of Life, but that's a bit of a cliché. Maybe the SPAM song instead, complete with all my mates leading the group out wearing Viking hats and stuff - that'd be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭schrodinger

"There was a little Spanishflea Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do...."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Wow "Heroes" would be excellent!

Some really good ideas here, I didn't think so many people would reply and, touch wood, it has stayed on topic and free from muppetry. Wow!:D

I'm not sure now whether to make the people at my funeral laugh or make it cool... ah sher I'll make 'em laugh! Having a good sense of humour about yourself (even in death) is way more important than trying to look cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Dig for Fire, theres just something suitable about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by Kharn
    And to top it all off, I want something incredibly daft and completely contagious to be in people heads as they leave - maybe Always Look on the Bright Side of Life, but that's a bit of a cliché. Maybe the SPAM song instead, complete with all my mates leading the group out wearing Viking hats and stuff - that'd be nice.

you need that song, the orginal, little respect

"A LITTLE RESPECT
    I tried to discover a little something to make me sweeter; Oh baby refrain from breaking my heart; I'm so in love with you; I'll be forever blue; That you give me no reason, you know you're making me work so hard; That you give me no . . . Soul; I hear you calling; Oh baby please give a little respect to me.

And if I should falter, would you open your arms out to me? We can make love not war, and live in peace with our hearts; I'm so in love with you; I'll be forever blue; What religion or reason could drive a man to forsake his lover? Don't you tell me no. . . Soul. I hear you calling; Oh baby please, give a little respect to me.

I'm so in love with you; I'll be forever blue; That you give me no reason, you know you're making me work so hard; That you give me no. Soul. I hear you calling. Oh baby, please give a little respect to me. Oh baby, please give a little respect to me."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

Originally posted by Lolo

Hate to be pendantic (actually I'm lying, I *love* being pedantic), but it's not - it's a cover of a 60s tune by a band called The Tokens, except they called it "The Wimoweh".

But it does sound similar to SEX awwight.

Actually it is a South Afrikan Zulu folk song appropriated (ie stolen) by the tolkens:

The song known as "Wimoweh" (and later as "The Lion Sleeps Tonght") was written by Zulu singer and entertainer Solomon Linda, who recorded it with his vocal group, the Evening Birds, in a studio in South Africa in 1939. Linda titled the song "Mbube," which is Zulu for "The Lion." The lyrics translate something like "Lion! Ha! You're a lion?," and grew out of an incident in the groups' boyhood when they used to chase lions that were stalking their fathers' cattle.
    By 1948, the song had sold in the neighborhood of 100,000 copies in South Africa. (It became so popular that Zulu choral music became known collectively as "Mbube Music.") "Mbube" then made its way to the U.S. in a package of ten 78s, sent to the Decca company by a local South African recording company with the hope that Decca might be interested in releasing some of the recordings in the U.S. Decca wasn't interested, and was about to trash the package when it was rescued by Alan Lomax who brough the recordings to his friend Pete Seeger.

Seeger liked "Mbube," especially its soaring falsetto part, and started transcribing it. The Zulus were chanting "uyimbube, uyimbube," but Pete thought it sounded like "awimbooee," or "awimoweh" and that's how he wrote it down. He taught "Wimoweh" to his group, the Weavers, who recorded it on a 45-rpm single b/w "Old Paint" for Decca in 1952. The song was later featured on the immensely popular 1957 Vanguard LP, "The Weavers at Carnegie Hall," which propelled it into the Folk Revival. (The Weavers credited the song to "Paul Campbell," which was a pseudonym for the group.)

The Kingston Trio included "Wimoweh" on their 1959 LP, "From the Hungry i" LP, and their label credits read, "Trad., adapt. & arr./Campbell-Linda."

In 1961, the song was recorded by the Tokens under the title "The Lion Sleeps Tonight," with English lyrics by George Weiss. (The credits for this version went to Weiss and the two producers of the recording, Hugo Peretti and Luigi Creatore.)

Thr original Solomon Linda and the Evening Birds recording of "Mbube" can be heard on the Rounder CD, "Crocodiles, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Solomon Linda & The Evening Birds & Others: Mbube Roots--Zulu Choral Music from South Africa, 1930s-1960s."

SOURCE: Pete Seeger, "The Incompleat Folksinger" (1972); "In the Jungle" by Rian Malan, "Rolling Stone," May 25, 2000; additional research by Peter J. Curry.

My understanding is that Solomon Linda never saw a bit of royalties and did not care - he was just happy so many people enjoyed his song. If that it true it is sad but class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lister

I woulod have to go with "Angel" by Sarah McGloughlin. But it realy doesn't matter what is played at my funeral, as I will be dead and wont be able to hear it. Oh well! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

true, but it leaves your loved ones with a memory of you that is true to you and not just some priest (vicar/rabbi/other)that knows nothing about you rabbitting on about crap!

personally, i'd much prefer if my friends and people who knew me talked about what kind of person i was(the good stuff anyway) and got to listen to some of the music that meant something to me (that'll teach them to rag on my musical taste) rather than some religious crap

hopefully i'll have years to decide the full line-up, but i'd love to have "here comes the sun" (the nina simone version ) in there somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

I am the resurrection by the stone roses....

I will come back oh yes i will come back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Rafter

Walk On from U2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Genghis

I am surprised nobody has suggested Imagine. A friend of mine died a few years back and had this played. Very emotional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lister

"Who Want's To Live Forever" by Queen.

I was watching Highlander today. Very moving, poor old Ramierez.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

The Birdy Song! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

hmmmm, interesting morbid little topic going here, may aswell throw up a few
    Tool: Stinkfist "Its not enough, I need more, nothing seems to satisfy, I just want it, I just need it. To breath... to feel....... to know Im alive" "Fingers deep within the borderline, show me that you love me and that we belong together. Relax turn around and take my hand"

Nine Inch Nails: Closer, just to see the look on my parents face :)

Spinal tap: Big bottom, or stonehenge

Van Morrison: Brown eyed girl *shrug*

Metallica : No leaf clover "god day to be alive sir"

G n' R: Dont Cry (alternative lyric)

T.S.O: Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Ian

Catch a Falling STar by Fuzz45

actually, it is supposed to be about Robb Donker's father's death so I guess it would be appropriate for a funeral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Johnny Gomez

Have to agree with Rafter on this one! U2-Walk On

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Originally posted by atonal

Actually it is a South Afrikan Zulu folk song appropriated (ie stolen) by the tolkens:

Well, there ye go, goes to show that even a pedantic **** like me learns somethin' new every day. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

"asshole" by Dennis Leary.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Hussy

Everybody Hurts -REM

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Meatloaf - Heaven Can Wait...

...ah, you can't beat the classics...

...unless you have a really big stick...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Christy Moore - Joxer goes to stuttgard.

That would have eveyone standing on the benches singing and laughing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭daftbegger

Cantina band tune from star wars, coz it would stay in your head all night and freak you out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i would have
    Metallica - Fade To Black
    Guns N' Roses - November Rain
    Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O Mine
    Guns N' Roses - Paradise City
    Nirvana - Aneurisym
    all would be played at different parts really loud (the way i like it)
    and everyone would be dressed in everyday clothes and have one hell of a piss up afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

The theme song from Knight Rider followed with Jamiriquai - I'm going Deeper Underground :)

Seriously though, maybe a bit of Ave Maria coupled with Handals Massiah (and yes, I want the full orchestra).
    There's no way I'd subject my mourners to the likes of Metallica or Marilyn Manson anyway.

God, what a morbid topic... :(

ROFL @ that avatar by the way Mossy :D
    Nice choice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

What the hell, I'm bored...

The Suger Plum Fairy tune?
    I reckon it'd be good for a laugh as I'm hauled passed the pews.

- lamps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭col_nicholson

yours are all good, but i would chose sweet child of mine followed up with ratm's Killing in the name of

Advertisement