Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIndows 2000 professional Upgrade.

• 31-01-2002 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if it is possible to install this in 1 go or do i have to upgrade off windows 98.

would i be better off reformatting and running fdisk etc, or how should i go about it.

at the moment the computer stalls a fair bit and for some reason solitaire doesn't work. also icons don't work correctly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

You allways better doing a clean install, this can be done from your corrent windows os, it iwll be the first option you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Do a clean install (Fdisk and so on)

It'll ask you for your Win98 (or "qualifying product") disc at some point during the install to make sure you own one

Plain sailing from then in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

you could always just dual boot it.. dont know if you can choose that from windows install but if you boot to dos (with cd support) on the win2k cd go into i386 and run winnt.exe you can do a fresh install but it will keep 98 as second os! You can then if you want to go all win2k delete the windows folder and remove the windows 98 like from boot.ini...

at the end of the day though a fresh install IS best though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

If you stick in the win2k cd from within windows one of the install options is for dual boot. You first need to deselect the upgrade option, and then select the partition where you want to install.

There you go, best of both worlds...:)

FDisk, absolutely no need for that, you can format in the set up one you select clean install

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

I tried the upgrade from 2k to XP - thing just does wierd stuff - never recommend them in any form (for operating systems).

why do people blame the os, first thing you learn is you never upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

thanks for the advice lads.

I ended up running fdisk+doing clean install. No problems really

Advertisement