Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Corporate Hosting.

Options
  • 31-01-2002 9:38pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm interested in seeing how our hosting offering stacks up against what people are currently getting in the market.

We've signed a deal with a major Dublin hosting company to supply hosting to all and sundry but I'm not talking about being one of 200 websites on the same box, I'm talking about owning the box outright and expecting support, maintenance etc from people who wont just say "do you want a reboot or not mate".

We're offering

Hardware (Dell 2450 Server, same as Boards.ie runs on... pretty serious gear: Dual 933, half gig of ram, 3x40 SCSI HD's in Raid 5)

24-hour SLA on hardware.

Licenses for MS software (Win 2K and SQL 2K if needed)
    Or Linux/BSD & Apache
    OS is preinstalled by us.

2mb dedicated line to each and every box, burstable to 10mb for occasional spikes (again, the same as boards.ie now runs off).

This bandwidth is UNMETERED. Let me repeat that. UNMETERED. If you want to run a live broadcast of TV off this server you can fill that 2mb line 24/7 and we could care less. (How else could we afford to run boards.ie! It pumps out gigs a day to the community!)

24/7 Intelligent Hands support.
    9-5 OS/Webserver support.

Cost: starts at €550 per month. Depending on the level of backups and support you expect to need the price increases from there but thats the cost of the basic package

The reason I'm posting this is to firstly open a discussion on our offering versus what you may already be getting from other suppliers and to start to bring what should be a straight up comparison of service offering into the public.
    I've seen some people and companies getting completely ripped off and taken for a ride simply because there wasnt a decent comparsion of hosting offers.

If anyone wants to reply to this then I think the headings should be:

Hardware.
    Hardware SLA
    Dedicated connectivity
    Bandwidth charges
    Database?
    Licenses included?
    Support level
    (and most importantly) Cost

Theres no point in saying "call for a quote" (I hate that :) )

So, there you go...

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

You stick this under Cost

I was going to start cursing at €550 a month until I read about the bandwidth. The cheapest price I've seen for 2Mb (non bustable) is €1,300 a month. A certain large monopoly charge £30,000 a year for 2Mb co-lo. BTW do you have any option that's less than 2Mb?

Also what sort of a contention ratio does the ISP have for the hosting? ie what connectivity have they got?

Anyway fair play - it's a good deal.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

That 2mb line IS burstable to 10mb (jesus we'd need that for Boards it regularly bursts 2mb).

We dont do less then 2mb because to be honest, it doesnt pay for us to start choking peoples bandwidth and the price difference is very little.

You are experiencing the contention everytime you use Boards.ie
    Its very slight as far as we can tell. We pump about 2mb/s out of boards for a fair bit of the day, spiking to between 6-10mb/s at 1pm and 6pm. We've certainly never experienced upstream contention of any sizeable amount and its something we watch very closely (ok, Regi watches it closely :) )

At least someone in Ireland is doing unlimited, decent sized bandwidth. :)

[EDIT] Regi just informed me that we get about 500-600 KiloBYTEs/S on that machine when downloading stuff from the US and Denmark. Thats along with the regular boards.ie traffic (he was doing that at 11pm). The ISP has 2 STM1 connections which explains why they could care less about bandwidth :) [/EDIT]

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Hi all,

Here at http://www.hosting365.ie we offer the following (entry level - see the site for more)

Hardware.

Intel Server, PIII1.2Ghz, 512Mb Ram, 1x20GB IDE, 2x NIC

Hardware SLA

4 Hour Onsite

Dedicated connectivity

Burstable to 10Mbps

Bandwidth charges

50GB per month included with all services, extra at €3.95 per GB

Database?

MySQL, PostgreSQL are free, MS SQL 2000 is extra.

Licenses included?

RedHat, etc, add €100 per month for Windows 2000 Server and MS SQL 2000 Server (optional)

Support level

24/7 monitoring and notification
    24/7 reboots, and hands-on support

(and most importantly) Cost

This is €299.95 per month, no set-up and no minimum term, and €399.95 per month for the Windows 2000 Box.

BTW Vore,

Who is your upstream and what is their connectivity like?

We use Inflow, who have 4 providers totally 3.6Gbit at the moment.

Best regards,
    Stephen Mc Carron

www.hosting365.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

These machines would be located within the Republic Stephen, yes? What about VAT?

adam

Hi Adam,

Yes, all the gear is physically located here in Dublin, the facility is off the Naas Rd/M50.

Vat @ 20% will be applied, as standard, to EU citizens :)

We do basic colo, same basic terms, but you supply the hardware from just €99.95 per U of rackspace (1.75 vertical inches)

Best regards,
    Stephen

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

BTW Vore,

Who is your upstream and what is their connectivity like?

We use Inflow, who have 4 providers totally 3.6Gbit at the moment.

Its DeVore :)

Our upstream are Nevada. Two STM1's last time I checked. Certainly no problems there. You dont mention what dedicated connectivty you give as standard..?

Nice deal, though I think yours is more suited to someone who already knows what they are doing with hosting and servers, whereas ours is more for the corporate client who wants a lot of tender care.
    No harm in that, good luck to us all !

DeV.

Hi DeVore!

Agreed! BTW - from Nevada website:

>>>
    nevada tele.com is directly connected to two major tier 1 backbone nodes via 45 Mbit/s circuits through UUNET and GTE
    <<<

That's two E3's not STM-1's?

Stephen

From Nevada directly this morning:
    ...Upstream from this is an STM-16 resilient ring with two STM1 lines so you need never worry about
    > connectivity to the internet. We are connected to the INEX and LINX for greater
    > speed within the country and beyond.

I dont think they have updated their website because our techs in here also agree that they have 2 STM1's

DeV.

ps: You dont mention what bandwidth you give as standard to each box? :)

DeV.

I did - 50Gb transfer per month. We do not throttle bandwidth, which is burstable to 10Mbps. Does Nevada have two STM-1's or connect to a provider that does? What is the total connectivity?

(Just curious :)
    Stephen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

We dont do less then 2mb because to be honest, it doesnt pay for us to start choking peoples bandwidth and the price difference is very little.

Do you work for these guys, are something.

Btw that is a nice price

Just curious, as even 2x STM-1 is 300Mbps, give or take, so how is it possible to give a dedicated 2mbps line to each customer?

That means 150 customers and both lines are saturated? Smells of over-selling to be honest?

300Mbps is still fairly modest, Inflow have 3,600Mbps, Worldport had almost 4000Mbps, not sure about the others - anyone got figures?

Horses for courses :)
    Stephen

Originally posted by Boston

Do you work for these guys, are something.

Btw that is a nice price

I dont work for them. I work for (and am part owner of) Spin Solutions who are offering Enterprise Level Hosting as one of our new offerings. Primarily because half the hosters round these parts wouldnt know a database if it fell on their heads and sang to them.

And dont start me on what they consider decent bandwidth.
    Esat seem to think that 64Kps per machine is a sufficent guaruntee.

When we were moving Boards.ie to Ireland we needed cheap, decent bandwidth with light contention upstream. I think we can all agree that any hoster who can handle Boards.ie can manage most things any Corporate could throw at them.

We were so pleased with the new hosting, and with Worldport going bang, short of a partner in that area that we decided to start doing this ourselves...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

What you guys think of http://www.acid.ie, anyone ever used them before?

Lookin for cheap webhosting that provides php cgi and mysql. Just want to try out different things that i can't on 'free' servers such as phpbb and vbulletin, and a few other things.

So where can i get the above for an affordable price and reliability.

Have already talked to steve-hosting36 about his www.hosting365.ie and it seems good, acid.ie seem to have the price to features beat tho but seem relativly new to the business (just goin on ur ages) where as steve got more experience, they both seem good just want more opinions from people in the know.

Gideon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

What is
    24/7 Intelligent Hands support.

It is a term which means that, 24/7, there are 'intelligent' bods on-site, who can intervene with your machine hands-on - ie: more than just a reboot or power cycle.

Best regards,
    Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Lo Stephen just out of curosity what brand of servers are you using ?

(I have alterior motives for this question btw :))

Gandalf.

Hi Gandalf,

Currently, we use Compaq Proliant DL360 and DL380 servers, with RPSU, 2xCPU, min 1Gb Ram, and 2x36GB SCSI, we also use Intel Built Servers with a similar spec,

Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Originally posted by steve-hosting36
    Hi Gandalf,

Currently, we use Compaq Proliant DL360 and DL380 servers, with RPSU, 2xCPU, min 1Gb Ram, and 2x36GB SCSI, we also use Intel Built Servers with a similar spec,

Stephen

What type of servers do INTEL build?

As in Intel boards, processors, etc, etc - D'Uh :)

Stephen

• Advertisement

As you are no doubt aware I am new to this so if my post annoyed you I am sorry. It just that when you mentioned 2 specific compaq machines, which use some intel parts, and then mention "intel built" servers i just got a bit interested. Your choice of words implied that intel actually assembled servers, as i was not aware of these i was simply asking for clarification. Again my apologises for any annoyance caused.

MrE

Hi MrE,

Sorry if I came across snappy, was not the intention. Apart from the compaqs, we use machines built by Encom, who are Intels only 'premier' partner in Ireland. They build machines using all Intel gear (cases, boards, nics, etc), and supply people like eircom.net with their servers :)

All the best!
    Stephen

Cheers:)

MrE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 99eurohosting

Never one to miss an opportunity.... Like it says on the tin... 99 Euro Hosting - www.99eurohosting.com.

For those interested a little in the background (in the spirit of openness), we use Cobalt RaQ 4r for Linux Hosting and IBM xSeries 250 for Windows Hosting. RaQ 4r's have 450MHz CPU, 0.5 GB RAM and 2x40GB HDD RAID 1, xSeries 250's have 700MHz PIII Xeon, 1GB ECC SDRAM, 7x18.2GB SCSI 10K RPM HDD (RAID 1 and RAID 5 Arrays splitting OS/Apps and Data for performance).

Network peering - Global Crossing to New York (multiple STM-1’s), INEX (Irish Internet Exchange) in Dublin, LINX (London Internet Exchange), AMS-IX (Amsterdam), DE-CIX (Frankfurt). Redundancy, fire protection, backup generator, etc, etc.
    Every server is protected by top of the range Checkpoint 1 Firewall.

Rather uniquely we are actually located in the same building as our servers (National Software Centre in Cork). Brand new facility that does not rely completely on being an ISP so its not going to be just another Worldport - as some of you will know all too much about. I would like to think being physically located with your servers allows you to offer a little bit more support and peace of mind than being remote.

And technologies? Lots.... Visit the site..... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by 99eurohosting
    Network peering - Global Crossing to New York (multiple STM-1’s), INEX (Irish Internet Exchange) in Dublin, LINX (London Internet Exchange), AMS-IX (Amsterdam), DE-CIX (Frankfurt). Redundancy, fire protection, backup generator, etc, etc.

Sounds like an eircom.net brochure to me ;)

Fair play anyway, a bit of competition never hurt anyone... You never mentioned how much data transfer you get with that. Can you top Steves 50GB?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Originally posted by The Cigarette Smoking Man

Fair play anyway, a bit of competition never hurt anyone... You never mentioned how much data transfer you get with that. Can you top Steves 50GB?

The website says 500MB, yep MB not GB

Well spotted Ciggy Man. Primary provider is eircom.net. We go direct to POP over fibre, whatever that means. Backup providers include Esat, more backup providers on the way shortly. More info here... http://www.nsc-campus.net/logistics.asp

The site is for virtual hosting (i.e. per single relatively low traffic site) not dedicated, so you cannot compare 500MB at 99Eur per annum (8.25 per month) with 50GB at whatever you pay with Steve per month. Its not called 99eurohosting for nothing. Anyway, you can up the 500MB to 2GB for an extra 15.00 euro per annum. (I've updated the site now - an omission on my part originally)
    Like Steve, there is no bandwidth throttle set. You can burst up to what you need. Its just that if you burst up too much too often you have to pay extra. :)

The policy of the site is that you only pay for what you need. A lot of people won't use 500MB in a year for their site yet alone a month. You can start at 500MB per month and upgrade later for only 15.00 Euros.

We do dedicated server as well, though I have to admit Steve has a good deal on the dedicated server side of things.

Anyway, how many Irish hosting providers actually go to the expense of hosting from Ireland? I know of quite a few who run their hosting business on US or UK servers - not backed up nightly or even weekly, trusting to God. No firewall, no nothing, just bare servers without even any level of RAID. At least when we can physically get at your servers after a 2 minute walk you have that extra peace of mind.

Hi 99euro :)

I'm with you all the way, a tiny proportion of Irish Hosts (about 3 afaict) host in this fair land. The main reason for it is, of course, the pricing of space and connectivity, or even availability of connectivity in most places.

It is amazing how people are happy to pay hundreds of dollars, euros, or pounds sterling to hosts who, as you say, use standard PC's for hosting, no firewalls, no back-ups, no redundancy and poor service - the hosting industry has a bit of maturation to go through yet, but it is slowly getting there!

Congrats on the site - looks excellent - all competition is good competition!! :)

Stephen

Agreed Stephen.

Prices are certainly on the way down here. Eircom and esat will lose a lot of customers to the likes of ourselves - at least thats the plan :)

One of the obstacles is that most people (with no IT knowledge) with web-sites assume that their site is being hosted by their web designers - when its being hosted for $17 a month or whatever by the likes of Interland. And right under the designer's nose are (cheaper) local suppliers who will bend over backwards to give excellent support, unlike anonymous companies like Interland or Verio, etc.

Good luck with your own venture by the way.... Competition is good for the consumer anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Demitri

Hi steve-hosting36

I couldn't help noticing the Careers section on hosting365's site.
    I wonder if you mind if I contact you privately regarding a job.

In Brief: I am Net+ certified currently in the process of sitting my CCNA exams and then proceeding straight into CCNP mod V [advanced routing]. I have just completed a course in 2 MCPs windows 2000 & Advanced Server 2000 but have yet to sit exams. I worked for Smartforce on their E-learning delivery methods. I am Available to work form the 8rd of July.

I wouldn't mind hearing from anyone else who would like to hire me. ;)

To the rest of you sorry for wandering away from the topic.
    I heartily agree Eircom & Esat need a kick up the ass, the competition will be good for them and hopefully fruitfull for you as well.

Once agin my appologies to the mod and posters alike

Demitri.

Advertisement