Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voodoo 6000 Sleeps with the fishes....Or the corporates at least

• 15-11-2000 9:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭

They gave up on it being a consumer card and have licensed it solely to Quantum3d for commercial applications......

Yup, I've finally given up on 3dfx, past loyalty only goes so far.
    http://www.3dfx.com/comp/news/rel-13nov.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yeah nice one by 3dFX looks like my next card will be based on the nVidia chipsets now. Not a very clever move by a company that built its rep from the gaming community.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

The rest of the world gave up on them when it came down to a choice between a TNT2u or a Voodoo 3000 smile.gif

Perhaps someone at 3DFX finally realised that nobody had a case big enough to put the sodding thing into? smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Bah....I was hoping to get one to keep my toesies warm this winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

3dfx is returning to just making graphics chipsets rather than the cards.
    The company plans to close its Juarez, Mexico, card manufacturing plant and remove itself from the business of building the graphics cards that reside in desktop PCs. This is an abrupt switch from the December 1998 takeover of STB Systems, which 3dfx heralded as a move that would put them in charge of their own destiny. Instead, that move -- combined with numerous production delays and supply problems -- has removed the company from its once-dominant position in the industry.

The company says it will now sell its chips to third-party manufacturers, who will create the boards that go in computers. Because 3dfx is in its quiet period (its latest earnings are due next week), officials declined to say how much of a write off would result from the closing of the Mexican plant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Hi, my names amp and I bought a Voodoo 3500. I knew it wasn't the fastest 3d card at the time but you couldn't get tv in/out with the Geforce. Plus the 3500 has a really cool blue pod yoke for lot's of connectors and stuff.

I had a Voodoo 2 before that.

But nVidia have finally and somewhat surprisingly kicked 3dfx's as5. So soon my search will begin for it's successor.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

aaaa and i always liked that logo looks like ill be sticking with creative labs from now on

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

Advertisement