Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive problems

• 31-01-2002 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

I originally put this in Ms apps/OS but bubbles said more peeps would see it in here.

I have an old machine which the Hard Drive went on
    its a P200, 64meg ram, I took it to a shop where a
    guy put in a 20 gig hard drive, to make sure it would work
    in it, and it did so i bought one. Its a Western Digital WD200
    20gig. So i took it home and installed in the machine but its
    only coming up in the bios as size 1754 and when i go into Win98 its sayin that its only 1.8gig.

Ive done a few things to try n fix it - I flashed the bios up to the latest version (The mobo is a chaintech 5TDM2) and did fdisk and deleted the partition and set it to maximum size before i formatted the drive again. Fdisk says its got only 1 partition of 1673mbytes size, and has usage of 100%

i messed about with the cylinders/heads/tracks and put them up as high as i could, but then i got an error about not having a valid fat32 partition. I stuck it into a different machine (p700 win98) as a slave and formatted with fdisk (with large disk support) from windows but its still comin up as a 2 gig drive.

tis doin me bleedin head in :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

WD have a firmware upgrade for many of their drives (I've 2 WD drives in my comp)

Have a look on the website - I know there's a link from the Compaq support site for all the WD drives if it's not that obvious on the Wd site - if you can't find a link post back and I'll look for the link

And have a look at http://www.wdc.com/support/download/dlg/dlgdiag.zip

Diagnostic thingie for WD drives from my bookmarks

And
    http://www.westerndigital.com/support/dlg/onlinedlg.asp
    (online diagnostic)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

If your system does not support the drive size (Probably had a 2gb or 8.4gb max) then you can usually get a software manager from the manufacturer to let you overcome this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Spaceman

Got it sorted out, as a last resort i took the battry out of the mobo and put it back in and for some reason after that it saw it as a 20gig!!?? Damnd if i know why :)

Thanks for the help lads

Advertisement