Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attention(person logged in)

Options
  • 01-02-2002 12:37am
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was just thinking there,
    Is there anyway you can do this on a VBulletion, like you know in IRC you can do on the topic "Hey welcome to here $nick enjoy your stay" and the person with the nick see's their name, is it possible to do that on a VBulletion?

EX. If someone did it, and I was lookign at "afterhours" I'd see the topic "look OJ!"
    Or if dev was looking, he'd see "look DeVore!"

get my point?
    must be some way to be able to do it with the cookies or somethin..
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

the scope for muppetry with that has just temporarily stunned me :)

um, in the perl we could, but I dunno about the public doing it.

DeV.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

How about just letting Admins & Mods do it then?
    that idea has been on my head for weeks now, been trin lotsa things on it for boards and thinking of what it could be, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by OJ
    How about just letting Admins & Mods do it then?
    that idea has been on my head for weeks now, been trin lotsa things on it for boards and thinking of what it could be, lol
    Why should you be allowed do it?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Orgionally posted by DeVore
    but I dunno about the public doing it.

Because maybe the Mods & Admins have a 'little' more trust than the public?

I don't know, maybe because I am discrimating against the people who don't hvae special access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by OJ

Because maybe the Mods & Admins have a 'little' more trust than the public?

I don't know, maybe because I am discrimating against the people who don't hvae special access.
    Admins - yes
    Mods - no
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

why would we want to?

DeV.

want to what?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I don't understand this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

amp test

also I don't understand what oj is saying

OJ LAY OFF THE BLOW MAN!

Bah, you are n00bs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

Like showing your new PM's @ the top of each page ? or else I'm lost :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

i think what he means it, say i go into Afterhours etc. he wants to be able to have the thread title as "look here Lucifer.POD" etc or "look at this [nick]".

correct me if i'm wrong oj

That's exzactly what I mean.

Like, when I visit boards.ie it says "Welcome back OJ"

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

To answer your question...
    Is there anyway you can do this on a VBulletion...

Not that I know of at present. I think a model of the PM's would work, except structured so that you can click on someone's $nick where "Users Browsing this Forum: $nick" would lead to a page where you can send a temp. PM. This PM would be shown at the top of each forum they browse. If the user's session expires without them viewing the PM, it would be deleted.

Originally posted by peterd
    To answer your question...

Not that I know of at present. I think a model of the PM's would work, except structured so that you can click on someone's $nick where "Users Browsing this Forum: $nick" would lead to a page where you can send a temp. PM. This PM would be shown at the top of each forum they browse. If the user's session expires without them viewing the PM, it would be deleted.

i dont see where PM came into the idea. its about thread titles etc so for example the title if i am logged in would be Read This Lucifer.POD or if someone else was logged in it would say read this (or look at this etc) [nick]

could be good for announcements etc

it would prob be possible using the code used for the main page welcome note
    welcome.gif

EDIT what is wrong with the image tags????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

When you log onto boards it does say on the main screen Welcome (username) etc.. unless this has just been put in recently?

that is there ages now Saruman, i think he wants to be able to use that code for the title of a thread etc

Yes, I'd like to be able to add it for my announcement in my forum
    ie. "Welcome to the Travel/Holidays (name)"

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

but then you will also have ''quest's'' surfing through and finding your $nick thingy and ....... it'll say what???

• Advertisement

this could be easily resolved by just having "Welcome Guest" etc.

The same way we manage on the main page with a quest... it doesnt have a $nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Well this would be a good debut for Worst Idea of the Month...
    How is "Read this [nick]" more informative than "Read this"? The problem with it is that it probably won't be used for that at all, more for such inspired titles as "[nick] is gay!!!" etc. etc. At best, it'd be a nice personalised little feature, but in reality it has no practical use whatsoever.
    Incidentally, it'd be reasonably easy to implement.

Worst idea of the month eh,?
    píss off :)

Sorry, don't take it personally, just had to be said :P

Originally posted by Discharger Snake
    The problem with it is that it probably won't be used for that at all, more for such inspired titles as "[nick] is gay!!!" etc. etc.

well this is what moderators are for on boards, to control muppetry like this. its the same as someone posting (name) is gay etc. no matter what, with or without this idea, you will always get this sort of thing.

The option to show everybody their own name merely encourages such behaviour, and as ever, prevention is better than cure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

actually i like this idea! person in your' buddies list logs in... get a pop up "bla bla" is online... line msn or sumtin.... is that what your talking about???

Sorry mate, that's the most spectacular misunderstanding I've seen in quite a while :D

Try actually reading the topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

pfffff* read the topic :rolleyes: , well ok how about my idea then?

• Advertisement

Yeah your idea is quite good in comparison, it deserves its own topic.

Advertisement