Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Processor Holder

• 01-02-2002 12:59pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

I am looking for 1 components name, the stands either side of the processor to hold it in place, they are screwed down onto the motheboard.

any ideas and where to get them

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

If this is for a slot 1 processor, they usually come with the motherboard.
    What model board is it, maybe you could try a couple of component shops as they may have old boards for parts

just a thought..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I believe the term is cpu rails but that proably a few different names!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Did not get the rails, never coped, my own fault!!

thanks anyway will have a look around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just to avoid making a new topic - I saw this cpu holder hybrid thing in peats a while back. It would, for example, allow the plugging in of a Pentium 4 into a Pentium 2 slot because of a Pentium 4 type slot on a piece of board with connectors and rails for the PII slot. Sorry I don't really know the slot names......

I'm just wondering as to what kind of speed is possible out of these. Obviously this would slow down a P4 something serious, but would it be useful as a stop-cap solution until you could afford a new mobo, or would you be better off ignoring it altogether?

n1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Seamus, you are referring to a slotket, which allows you to use a pentium 3 fcpga (socket) chip in a slot 1 pentium 3 motherboard.

Its basically a circuit board, one edge of which is the secc edge connector which plugs into the slot1 on the board, and it has a fcpga cpu socket which lets you put a socket p3 cpu into it.

The pentium 4 is completely different from the pentium 2 and 3, it doesn't even use the same type of bus. I dunno where you got that idea. Just to repeat, you can't use a p4 in anything other than a p4 motherboard.

• Advertisement

Could the P4 even run on a P2 mbd.. the power needed is different.. In fact considering the cost of a P4 chip, if you can afford to get one it would be absolutly pointless to put it on a pII board as you would none of the speed benefit.. maybe slightly but not enough to justify it.

I know you can get Slockets.. basically designed for P2/P3 boards cabled of greater speeds than slot1 chips where made in,.. its a dauhtercard that sits in the slot 1 and has a socket 370 on its side where you put a PIII say a 933mhz or so... is that what you mean? Or was it defintaly for a P4, if so dont get one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hehe, ok. Motherboards are the one thing I've kept well clear of, hence I haven't a clue about them :) So that yokie is pretty useless for me and my P2 motherboard, i.e. it'll only allow a pentium 3 fcpga chip in another pentium3 board yeah? :)

hey looks like gerry beat me to the reply..

Thats right Seamus.. not a huge upgrade.. only handy if you have trouble getting a slot 1 cpu.. besides,, firget about this intel crap

Athlon XP!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by Saruman
    Thats right Seamus.. not a huge upgrade.. only handy if you have trouble getting a slot 1 cpu.. besides,, firget about this intel crap

Athlon XP!!
    Intel may be expensive, but I would hardly call them crap, they have there uses and are much better suited to certain tasks than Athlon's.

• Advertisement

Im Biased.. I admit it.. I use AMD's for years ever since the K6.
    Intel is not crap but I dont know I just dont find them better than Amd's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by Saruman
    Im Biased.. I admit it.. I use AMD's for years ever since the K6.
    Intel is not crap but I dont know I just dont find them better than Amd's
    Again, it really does depend on what you want to use your pc for.

The athlon has a better price to performance ratio, although with the pricing on the p4 1.6 and 1.8 northwood (overclockable easily enough to 2.2 - 2.5 ghz) this gap is narrowing. Intel platforms generally give less trouble, though I could be shot for saying so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Originally posted by Gerry
    The athlon has a better price to performance ratio, although with the pricing on the p4 1.6 and 1.8 northwood (overclockable easily enough to 2.2 - 2.5 ghz) this gap is narrowing. Intel platforms generally give less trouble, though I could be shot for saying so.

how easy ?
    can u really get another 600 mhz from a p4 1.6 :confused: :eek:

note I said northwood. The chip is based on the 0.13micron northwood core, has 512k l2 cache and has the letter A after the speed. So the 1.6A is a northwood. Those kind of overclocks are possible at default voltage.

Advertisement