Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why not 24/7 nolimits ?

• 15-11-2000 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

If England can get 24/7 AOL dial up flat rate then why can't we ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Because Eircom still have control over the local loop and are a shower of ba$tards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

What he said.

Eircom suck donkey d**k

John

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

What the lads say above is of course true - it's the main reason for pretty much all the telco problems in Ireland - but the reason they're able to do it in the UK *now* is because the market just changed again. Up until now - actually for a while yet - "unlimited" access wasn't a viable business model, because the other operators weren't getting flat rates for lines from BT. That's why Freeserve have booted over 800 users off their system, and the "AltaVista ISP" never even got off the ground.

But now Oftel have on the face of it insisted that BT charge a flat rate for the line from consumer to ISP, and not just to BT's network. Oftel would appear to have bucked up their act somewhat, and started playing hardball with BT. And the bollicking David Edmonds of Oftel got yesterday from a UK government select committee will only make him more eager to get BT to toe the line.

So my guess is that AOL are chancing their arm, without much of a chance of losing it. They're going to put this out there as a loss leader - they are an *enormous* company after all, they can well afford it - and try to get the jump on the other unlimited services that will be introduced, or reintroduced, in the next few weeks and months. And I'm willing to bet they'll succeed too, since they've operated this model in the US for years.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I read in a mag ages ago that a user is worth 5,000(english) a year to an ISP. Don't know where the hell that came from but eircon and suck-no-limmits are going to lose a lot of money if they don't get their act together b4 real competition is forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

RE suck-no-limmits are going to lose a lot of money if they don't get their act together b4 real competition is forced.

I will have no loyalty to a company who provide such a SH1TE service(can't connect, can't ring up to complain). As soon as someone else puts another similar offer on the table I'm gone like sh1t off a shiny shovel!

OOOH,I hear laughter in the rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

indeed, esat just dont have the capacity to handle off peak flat rate as it is, never mind 24/7. They completly underestimated the demand for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Chance their arm? chance their arm my **** ... AOL never chanced their arm ever.. I should know I work for em...
    Anyways yeah OFTEL have forced BT to offer up nodes to people for flat rate access 24/7. Other companies fell on their **** simply because they didn't have the resources to offer what the claimed they could. AOL on the other hand have already bought out several nodes from BT and are offering all exisitng and new members Flat Rate access for £14.99 a month. Of course everyone wants it and with nearly 2 million members in the UK @ £14.99 a month its not doing AOL any harm.
    Whether they will be able to keep up with the demand is questionable. They do have an online timer which will kick you off after 20 minutes and also you HAVE TO use aols software to connect so if anything goes wrong or aol want to limit your connection in any way they simply release an automatic update which you cannot stop. Strange but true.

.logic.

Advertisement