Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are 'they' prepared for cable ?

• 19-11-2000 1:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

A while back, I was interviewed along with 5 other people by an Eircom marketing team to complete a survey. They were asking what we used the internet for etc etc. Then the woman hands us all sheets of a 'theoretical' implementation of a new high speed service, what it was was an ISDN package which later came to be High Speed, I told them what I thought but she only wanted positive reactions, bítch.
    Anyways, she asked us what ideas we had , I said a 24/7 flat rate service but she canned that before I could explain myself.
    Another thing that really worried me was that when she proposed another package, garunteeing high quality connections, servers capable of coping with the amount of banwidth which it could expect. I told her that you can't 'garuntee' that kind of thing and therefore you should remove it from this sheet as a perk, because it's false. Once again she stopped me in my tracks and told me that I should just 'accept that we could cope with it' which I thought was quite naíve at the time.
    My point is , is this how the marketers think these days ? esat didn't expect to do as much service as they are doing but it's happening nonetheless. So if that's how they considered bandwidth back then , have they thought the same for cable ? do they think they can cope with the amount of consumers they'll get.
    /me is a bit miffed :/

It's about a society in freefall....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Actually I've wondered the same thing.
    If there's so much trouble and congestion across nearly all the ISPs at the mo., with the vast majority just using analogue modems, what kind of nightmare will it be in about 2 years when broadband is as available and popular?
    Is there one ISP we trust to have a decent backbone capable of handling the extra traffic?.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Don't you read Dibert? Marketing/sales are on a different plane to us mere mortals. One of the very few things that are good about lawyers is that they stop Sales from saying Product X will make you invisible and you can sneak into the womens changing rooms!!!!!

(If any can locate Product X please send in a brown papered e-mail to.... NO CARRIER!...""%"%$%""%%"&&**

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

Advertisement