Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damien Rice - O

Options
  • 01-02-2002 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Its stunning... just stunning. Listening to it, i didnt want it to end... worth every cent.

anyone else heard it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

He was playing in tower records today. He's playing again in tower on thursday 7th @7. Make the effort to go......It will be worth it.........trust me
    The records great too!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭insanebadgergirljess

Did tower records by any chance sell out the albums they had? cos i saw him playing at 1 (so very amazing) and after looked around to get the album but couldn't find it anywhere,and didn't have time to ask.

yeah. there were plenty of copies available in hmv though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

yeah, my friend got it. i wasn't too impressed. just a little bit ... boring? a couple of great songs mixed in with fillers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 gouty

Pshaw! 'Fraid you're just plain wrong - Damien Rice is the messiah of Irish minstrelsy he has something individually resplendent to share with us. Two chords, the truth and funny ears. I for one say ‘DAMIEN TELL US MORE, AND DON’T HEED PLAYER HATERS LIKE O SLEEP AND HIS KIND’.

I rest my emotional baggage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jonny

in all fairness gouty, unbiased as i am about damien's music, because i do like it, but wouldn't think hes "the messiah"(as you call him), o sleep has a fair point, and its a fair point cuz thats his/her opinion, damiens music doesn't rock his/her boat, and therefore he's not wrong, and hes not right, and youre not wrong and youre not right. but i DO wonder whether in 10 years time if you saw what u just wrote about damien rice's music, would you not blush, MAYBE some people MIGHT think that what you said COULD be a BIT of an overstatement.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

i was impressed with what i heard 4 or 5 years ago
    when he first emerged and i thought some of the songs like
    volcano were great. the single last year was really good too
    but i've had a brief listen to the album and i'm not so sure
    yet if it's as great as you say it is.
    it did seem to lack a bit of lift, a bit too layed back
    which borders with boredom.

i did believe he had the potential so i'll this one digest for a
    while.

Originally posted by jonny
    in all fairness gouty, unbiased as i am about damien's music, because i do like it, but wouldn't think hes "the messiah"(as you call him), o sleep has a fair point, and its a fair point cuz thats his/her opinion, damiens music doesn't rock his/her boat, and therefore he's not wrong, and hes not right, and youre not wrong and youre not right. but i DO wonder whether in 10 years time if you saw what u just wrote about damien rice's music, would you not blush, MAYBE some people MIGHT think that what you said COULD be a BIT of an overstatement.:rolleyes:

Okay, but the packaging sure is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Young Ian

Yeh, 'scuse my overwhelming ignorance... where does that song The Proffessor come from? Is it Juniper or what. Sounds like Jeff Buckley, a bit, except, not really. Only the French bit, then okay.

don't know haven't heard it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭p-t saviour

its a Damien Rice song (funnilly enough), didnt make the album cos apparently it woulda sounded outta context and the only recording that the messiah:) was happy with is the live one on the blowers daughter single... great song tho...

who's this rice fellow anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭clevenger

look at your shoes gouty and then start moaning uncontrollably thats who he is.

only kiddng folks put your shotguns away...

he's actually rather good, the best artist Open House ever had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Lisaq

Ok... the whole French bit In the proffesser sounding like Jeff, hmm, i get. he.. damien... even might be described as a bit like jeff, but i dunno, comparisons between the two would just go round in circles. besides jeff has left us 4 a better place, so now he can do no wrong! MWAHAHA

download 'the professor' now from www.damienrice.com
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Lisaq

"Lovin' is fine, if you've plenty of time for walkin; on stilts at the edge of your mind, yeah, and lovin' is good if your dic's made of wood, but the dic left inside only half understood her.. what makes her come, what makes her stay..."
    yepo, kickass song

there's 2 hidden tracks after eskimo (the last track), the first goes "i've packed my suit in a bag, i'm all dressed up for prague"... does anyone know what its called? the second is Lisa Hannigan singing a capella to the tune of silent night, its the most beautiful fúckin' thing..................................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

they didnt include the proffessor on the album?!!?
    sacrilige...
    the song rules,its a bloody angsty song"for a singer song-writer"

i'm told lisa sings a version of it form her point of view...would be a good b-side....

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Richie

Well as young Mr. p-t saviour said Gar, the Professor definitely wouldn't have sounded right on this album. This album is the delicate one, and apparently the next one is gonna be the rockier, livelier one. People wanted to hear the Professor on CD, so the ebst thing he could do was to stick it as a b-side on the first single. Which he did!

saw lisa singing it from her point of view, it was fairly spectacular, "he's the professor and he feels that he should know what makes me come and what makes me stay.... etc." great stuff, i'll be along to tower tomorrow to check the man out once again! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Richie

Oh yeah, that first secret track is simply called "Prague".

Damien Rice & co will be in Tower Records tonight @ 7.
    Be there!

The Proffessor in Tower Records really really good. I loved it when the band came in and did the waltzy french bit and even though he lost it, it was still great

i'll second that!!!... hey ian, get back to the drunktank! way to make public urination hilarious :D:D

Hey, it wasn't public urination, it was telling a garda to "Suck my ****ing cock." I feel just like George Michael.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

the album got to #7 in the charts which is pretty amazing but the poor guy was playing everywhere the past couple of weeks :) it's a really great record, every second of it, and well worth checking out. can't wait till woman like a man gets released tho' :p

O throbs with sheer humanity and bloody-minded honesty in the face of emotional debris.

Review by hotpress hack

These tender moments are nicely offset by the slightly off-kilter, even bitter sentiment of 'Cheers Darlin", allegedly recorded in a state of non-sobriety.

hmmm, now that's a cool idea, recording a drunken ode to a woman, while drunk!!

you reckon it's true? I'd love to know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

heard it. Nice, amie is my fav followed by eskimo. Finnish Opera singers are great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement