Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundcard and Speakers

• 14-11-2000 11:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Whats good and how much. I'm thinking SB live is prolly ok for about £60. What sort of speakers do I want and how much will they cost ?
    Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Sblive can be had a bit cheaper, but it is the best choice. As for speakers, maplin do an excellent set for £25, they are an old design, but have very good sound for the money. If you want better, the videologic digitheatre, or the creative 5.1 desktop theatre are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Cambridge sound works..4 point surround sound speaker set is the biz if ya have an Sb live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

the sb 128 card is cheap and has front and rear sound ports.
    i have the sb live 1028 which is cool and i have the 4 surround sound set from cambridge.
    its the closest you will come to anologue surround sound without going into dolby pro logic digital.
    i cant personally recommend the sb live and the cambridge works speakers. although the digital set looks nice for just over 200 quid, i reck unless you spend 20 hours of the day in front of the pc watching dvds then go for the cheaper anologue surround sound set up.
    AND THE SUBWOOFER IS VERY LOUD TOO....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭tobi

Depends on what you're willing to pay, I'm looking at this dream rig.
    Best sound card on the market - SonicFury
    Nice set of speakers - DigiTheatre Speaker System
    http://www.videologic.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

You bought that lot in maplin? I could be wrong here, its just I think maplin used to sell a jazz speaker system and it sucked. btw, if you find the speaker applet somewhere in the creative control panel, you can turn on the 4 speakers, and every program will play music out the 4 speakers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

like gerry said theres a option in that nasty drop down menu

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Canaboid:
    Ta all.
    Got SBlive 1024 and Jazz 4spkr + subwoofer.
    It rocks. One prob is winamp wont play to all 4 speakers (front 2 are fine). Do I have to use the manky media player supplied with card ?

nah ferg, you can use all four speakers for winamp. unless you have it set up for digital in which case it will only play the back speakers or something stupid like that, but if you set it for 4 speaker surround then you will get good sound al around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I have the original cambridge 2:1 setup with the wooden sub-woofer (nayah!). But then I also have it hooked up to my Dolby surround Sony Hi-fi 5:1 (NAAAAAYAAAAAAAAAH!!!!) so DVD playback truly ro><0rs.

So in answer to your question, buy a good hifi, and some cd's, and a sausage, and some panty liners, and some nt scripts and a spoon and a donkey.

amp - who's ears bleeed

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Ta all.
    Got SBlive 1024 and Jazz 4spkr + subwoofer.
    It rocks. One prob is winamp wont play to all 4 speakers (front 2 are fine). Do I have to use the manky media player supplied with card ?

Advertisement