Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Text message website

Options
  • 02-02-2002 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭

i want to set up a text message site. people can send me their funny text messages. i want to be able to have a number like 2fm etc. they get their messages direct to a computer how do i go about setting this up. anybody any ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

This very question was asked on the Ray D'arcy show on Today FM last friday. The answer is some software made by someone called Xion. But you'd probably need some sort of device to insert a sim card into and about €20k.

Possibly a good idea to ask on one of the Free Radio boards as it's likely they've either got something similar or have made the same enquiries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I'd really like to know that aswell. There are lots of things that could be done with a program like that! You could send your computer a text message and get it to do something depending on the messge!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

AFAIK what you need is a SMS Gateway, they're very expensive. and AFAIK they aren't avaible to the public for their own personal use..
    anyone that knows about it wana correct me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

do you want to pay eircell/esat/whoever for the texts?
    they will do bult txt stuff
    the corinth is the man to ask

//david

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Well I think all you need is a mobile, a cable to connect it to your computer and sms software on the computer to take in the txt messages.

I can't see Tofay FM paying 20k for software.

Theres free software out there called Kannel but I think the company that made it might have gone tits up, not sure....

The Unix version is hosted here:

http://www.kannel.3glab.org/download.shtml

Windows Version here:

http://kannel.dev.wapme.net/

Now don't go playing with this to make Nokia phones crash......

AMP: I think that other company is called Xiam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

If this is a commercial project ("sending in funny text messages" probably not but...), ask for a quote from: Phonovation . They did a project for LIVE 95fm Limerick (here ) which is similar to the 2fm/104's method of handling their txt-in messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i have a nokia 3210 then phone cable and a i had a nokia phone that worked until i dropped in down the loo by accident i must see if its going now. been in the hot press for ages. another problem is the lack of a signal in my area.

also how can i setup a wenbsite that updates itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

I think we're returning to the "That'll be $20k please" phrase.

Why go through the trouble of letting people text you their txt msg's if they have to go to your site to see them anyway ? I think a guest book type system would be as effective, less hassle, no money, job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Ere, What about ICQ, It offers free text messages to all but Eircell (lingering eircom bofh's or somtin i'd say) Is there a way to make messages sent to it, get posted to a page???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Check out this site its pretty cool , if you contact them , they will point you in the right Direction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Slydice
    Ere, What about ICQ, It offers free text messages to all but Eircell (lingering eircom bofh's or somtin i'd say) Is there a way to make messages sent to it, get posted to a page???

ICQ works with Eircell (Vodafone) now. They are using a different carrier, FarEasTone Telecom, so your texts (from ICQ) appear to be coming from a number from some far flung country...

You can reply to this number too and the replies come into ICQ just the same as if u got a message from another icq user. Handy little function it is and a very good solution to your problem..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

There are various approaches you can take. Simplest is to use a third party gateway to send your SMS for you. The upside of this is you’ll have no hardware costs, as you connect generally via a HTTP POST, the downside is that most are not based in Ireland and hence their long term viability is open to question – the moment that internetworking fees are introduced they’ll shut you down, for example. Go2mobile on the other hand is an Irish SMS-ASP, but unit price is high. However, if you expect to use a low volume and you want it to be around in six months, they’re not a bad choice. I can do the same at a much lower price per SMS, but it’s no longer my core business and only worth my while if you’re looking for a volume of 50k SMS p.m.

You can alternatively use the Xiam engine, which is a good ‘out of the box’ solution, but you’ll need the hardware and Xiam’s price model makes it’s money on the SMS’s sent, so it’ll be pricey in the long run.

Finally you can always build your own SMS gateway. It can be as simple as a mobile phone with a connecting lead. Your software would just have to be able to send the phone AT commands (do-able in Java, VB, etc.) - That’s how Dialaring started life. Realistically, though you’ll want to use a GSM modem attached to your server rather that a phone ;)

If you want don’t want to code up your own SMS engine, you can always take a look at Kannel. Where you have your own gateway, you’ll ultimately need to get a deal with one of the operators.

You’ll probably get other suggestions and opinions on how to do it on the Wireless board, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Ah sure I was close. Is there anything about the interweb you guys don't know? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Kevin
    Schedule it to run a script that executes your update process with a crontab (UNIX) or simelar - however, you're unlikely to get that level of access to a server if you're using virtual hosting. A nice article (ASP/IIS based) that might give you a few pointers can also be found here.
    Originally posted by amp
    Is there anything about the interweb you guys don't know? :)
    When we'll see affordable flat rate broadband access in Ireland :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭coolio_64

does anyone no a site where i can get funny text messages?

Advertisement