Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grim Fandango! The Best!!!

Options
  • 02-02-2002 12:20pm

Just decided to find out who else thought that Grim Fandango truly is one of THE best adventure games that LucasArts (or anybody!) ever made...it's a few years old but I was playing it and the entire atmosphere of it is just unbelievable...the way the jazz music kicks in randomly...FANTASTIC!!

Love that game...can't get over how engrossing it is.

Anyone agree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

must say i heartly enjoyed Sam and Max Hit the Road its fantasticly funny :D
    i alsp played the monkey island games

but i never managed to get round to playing Grim Fandango - must see if i can get it somewhere so

thats the one with all the dead people n stuff ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Yea it's a great game alright. You can pick it up on LucasArts budget collection for a about £10 in Smiths. Everywhere else in Dublin charges a full £20 for said budget releases.

Yeah, Grim Fandango is based in the Land of the Dead, it's really well done, with the kind of jazz music that was in the film noir type thing.

The Monkey Island games are also fantastic unfortunately I didn't get quite the same buzz from playing Escape from Monkey Island (the fourth one)...it used the grim fandango engine i think (it's all 3D) and so it didn't have the point and click interface that made the previous three good games. I like point and click, but the character interface worked REALLY well in Grim Fandango because the game was built to suit it...very good.
    But the Monkey Island, I feel, were always and always will be better suited to mouse clicking than to gamepad control.

Have you played the Indiana Jones games?
    COOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

A friend of mine has Fandango,he says its brill.
    I might get a loan of it off him......but im just adicted to FireArms ATM,so maybe in a few months :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Funny, I was just recomending this to someone. Probably my third favorite game ever(FFVII & Deus Ex being 1 & 2). Manny's actor has the coolest voice ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Have to pick it up. It was recommended to me lately too.

The line was something like "nice if you just like to point and click"

When I get bored of Rollercoaster Tycoon.

(hmm, decided today that "Spec Ops: Ranger whatsit" has to be the second worst game ever put out for the PSX. The nice man in Virgin agreed when I brought it back - said he'd been burned on that one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Mikill

Yeah - really liked Grim Fandango, the background music
    really created a cool atmosphere.

This LucasArts Budget Collection - Can you get any of the Lucas
    Games on it ?

I'm looking for a few that i haven't played.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Curse of Monkey Island & Sam & Max: Day of the Tentacle are definityle out in the Lucas Classic Line at the same price as Grim Fandango.

Same with X-Wing Alliance & X-Wing Collectors Series (XWing, Tie Fighter & XWing v Tie FIghter, all in one box)

All out on Activision. 13.99 on Amazon so have a look around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Hi folks,

All the older games will look very dated now of course but I think Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max were the funniest and most original adventure games ever made. I liked The Grim Fandango, an atmospheric game to be sure, and nice to look at, but not nearly as much fun to play as either of the above in my opinion.

Bosco

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The discworld games (same genre) are also well worth a look. Same kind of theme as the Monkey Islands.

If you're a Terry Pratchett fan though, you mighn't like some of the voices they've associated with the characters...

Could ruin the whole discworld book series for ya!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Vivi

Would it be worth buying for £20 cause im big into adventure games but im a bit low on money, im playing Discworld noir at the moment, i got it of a friend, its good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭the_corpo

i adored grim fandango

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Grim Fandango

One of the best adventure games ever , my pet favourite, just loved the humour, the art deco style, the music - even went so far as to rip the music from the game, think i may still have the prog for that, i assume its not illegal sice you have to have a copy of the game to rip the stuff, it works for most lucasarts games so i anyone wnats it i'll upload it. :)

Advertisement