Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GEFORCE 2 GTS STUTTERS IN GAMES

• 10-11-2000 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I JUST GOT A GEFORCE 2 GTS AND I ALSO BOUGHT MIDTOWN MADNESS 2 ASWELL. WHEN I RUN IT AND GO TO RACE IT STUTTERS IN DURING THE GAME.
    I HAV TRIED IT IN LOW RES AND TEXTURE QUALITY AND IT STILL DOES THIS. I DOWNLOADED NEW DRIVERS AND STILL THE SOUND AND GRAPHICES STUTTER frown.gif. I HAV AN AMD ATHLON 650, 64MB RAM, 10GIG HD ,52X CDROM,

WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM???

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE WELCOMED
    THX
    R&B-BiNgO

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

STOP SHOUTING!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

How did he manage to get the lower case 'g' ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Get the latest NVidia detonator drivers @ http://www.nvidia.com and get the latest chipset drivers for your AMD motherboard(VIA or something like that). The stutters will soon go away....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

h-h-h-h-Hobbes I t-t-t-t-hink he used a l333t |-|@&gt;<0r key c-c-c-called SHIFt.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

mabye its just midtown madness 2? smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Errr... it could be anything. Probably not enough ram and it's accessing the HD for the swap file. DMA for the HD enabled? You using a via mobo? Got the latest via 4in1 driver? What resolution you running the game at? You have other games? They all stutter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I'd have to agree there, 64MB's is a bit cack for a system like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

HA HA, 64 Mb's, What a load of pants banditary.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

How much you pick up that GTS for by the way?
    Recently got offered a very nice price on a few of them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

I'm having the same problems, although it seems to be limited to Direct3D games - Battlezone II for example, even on the lowest settings, is not half as smooth as I'd expect it to be. On the other hand any OpenGL games I have run perfectly. I've an Athlon 1GHz (Abit K7T RAID), 128MB ram and a GeForce2 GTS card too.
    It seems to me this definitely should not be happening on a machine like this, but it is. I've downloaded the latest drivers from nVidia and I'm going to update the BIOS * mobo drivers tonight. Hopefully like SickBoy says the stutters will soon go away, but I'll let you know either way.

• Advertisement

Well I installed the new Detonator drivers, and Battlezone II performance has greatly improved. It also helped some other games so if you haven't installed these, do. You can get them here.

I'm downloading DirectX 8 so this might help a bit, although I'm not keeping my hopes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

You could also check if it's a sound issue. Try disabling sound temporarily.

Bad implementations of A3d have done this on many games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Actually there's a thread about summat similar on Overl****ers.co.uk's message board. I don't have time to track it down so you can do the legwork.. smile.gif.... It led to another thread that gave quite a few tips on upping D3D performance with this combo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Clamor

HI,
    I had the same problem. It's still intermettant but doesn't happen as ofter now. I'm running a 866 256 Mb with GeForce2 and get the same gittering with Q3. So I assigned as much mem to game as I could and upped the refresh rate of the monitor to 85 Hz. Also capped the FPS on Q3 to 125. Now the problem isn't as bad. BTW make sure you have the newest drivers for your card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I wonder can someone explain to l me exactly what the stuttering is like. I could possibly help then . Does the computer pause at regular intervals, or does the frame rate just look really choppy? It could be a hardware conflict, ie 2 devices in the computer using the same irq. I run a p3 966 with a geforce2, and it hasnt ever stuttered on me, even with different drivers, and fps settings.

Could this cause random hangs as well? Even though the stuttering has more or less gone away since I installed the new drivers, I still get terminal hangs in a lot of 3D games - sometimes the music continually stutters, sometimes it keeps going, sometimes it stops completely but I have to reboot no matter what.
    I had a look at my devices and under 'Creative Miscellaneous Devices' the 'Creative SB16 Emulation' has these conflicts:
    Interrupt Request 05 used by:
    Creative SB Live!
    Interrupt Request 05 used by:
    IRQ Holder for PCI Steering

I have SBEINIT.COM executing in my autoexec.bat, but it only says 'Creative SB16 Emulation Driver NOT loading' and doesn't give a reason. I'm guessing this is why there's a conflict, but how do I get rid of it?

And I've just noticed my Geforce has a conflict too frown.gif

Memory Range DC000000 - DCFFFFFF used by:
    PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
    Memory Range D0000000 - D7FFFFFF used by:
    PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge

If I try to change the settings manually it says 'This resource setting cannot be modified', and anyway I wouldn't know what to do even if I could.
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Jazz, It looks like you need to get the latest motherboard drivers. The abit homepage should have links to these drivers, and they are easy to install. Or if the latest ones are not on abits page, I think www.viahardware.com has drivers. They are referred to as 4-in-1 drivers. By the way, there is no confict there, the irq holder for pci steering is needed. One thing you could try, is to put the pci cards in different slots. Sutty has a similar setup to you, you could ask him further questions.

Advertisement