Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPRS Handsets

• 02-02-2002 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was interested in seeing your opinions on the best GPRS phones that can be purchased now. I'd also be interested in ones with bluetooth built in, such as the Ericcsson T39. All of them are pretty expensive, so I don't want to buy the wrong one. ;)

Brendan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

the main question is what do you want?
    [start corp-rat talk]

all these have gprs as standard:

t39/r520 from ericsson are the same phone software just differnet size.
    both have built in ir port and bluetooth chips

then there's the t68
    same as above but smaller (much smaller) with a colour screen
    it ROCKS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

From what I've heard the Nokia 8310 should be avoided. One of the reasons for the delay of the GPRS rollout, twoards the end, was the failure of handsets to meet the grade. The 8310 was seen as the worst culprit - perhaps explaining why it's largely marketed as a fasion accessory, rather that for being hi-tech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I've been talking to Digifone and they expect me to use a nasty Motorola (have a thing against them) with no bluetooth, and the only nice motorola doesn't even have IR.

What is stopping me from buying an unlocked T39 (for example) and manually setting it up with the settings that would come preset on the motorola?

Brendan

Originally posted by bkehoe
    What is stopping me from buying an unlocked T39 (for example) and manually setting it up with the settings that would come preset on the motorola?
    If you can unlock the phone, nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Brendan

nothing @ all
    have a look @ www.expansys.com for phones :)

• Advertisement

This is sortof ot (forgot to ask them), but if I move from Eircell to Digifone, do I have to buy their gprs phone if I'm subscribing to their gprs service, or do I have to buy any phone for that matter?

Brendan

This is sortof ot (forgot to ask them), but if I move from Eircell to Digifone, do I have to buy their gprs phone if I'm subscribing to their gprs service, or do I have to buy any phone for that matter?
    Not if you're going from contract Eircell to contract Digifone, AFAIR. You can just buy a SIM for € 25 or so and pop it in your phone then. I think they lock only prepaid models.

Looks like Digifone got themselves a new customer then. ;)

Just have to get a T39 and a bluetooth card for my laptop, and I'm all set! ;)

Brendan

Advertisement