Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive Letters+Win2k

• 02-02-2002 5:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to reassign the hard drive, zip and cd/dvd letters using windows 2000 professional

At the moment it is setup like this
    C-hard drive
    D-Zip 250
    E-DVD
    F-CDR
    G-hard drive partition
    H-hard drive patition

I would like to change the hard drives to C,D,E; zip 250 to F and; cds to G and H

I think that it was possible to do this in windows 98 but i can't find it in windows 2000

any help would be appreciated

thanks for the advice on upgrade disk(previous thread)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management

Right-click on the drives you want to change, you'll see the option "Change Drive Letter and Path". The rest should be obvious.

Note that this can be dangerous, particularly if you have applications on any hard drives you're changing - if the apps use drive letters, they may stop working. Partition Magic contains an application that attempts to correct this, although it has to be said that the last time I used it, it formatted the drive... :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

yes drive mapping,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

(too late for this now I suppose)

Always handy to pop CD drives on high letters for when you add a hard drive later (ditto with the zip)

Usually set my CD drives to R and S (no particular reason)

Zip on Z (Z for zip)

Means whatever you add later you've never got the hassle of your CD drive letters moving around.

Careful with the remapping as the lads have pointed out. If you have apps on those two drives you're moving they may no longer work so you may have to reinstall or just put the drive letters back the way they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

CD rom letters (All drive letters actually) wont move on their own in NT/2k/XP. They are setup at the start and any drives added afterwards will take higher letters. You have to modify them manually after that.
    One handy thing to do is to set all of your extra drives/partitions high, reboot and then arrange them properly. The thing is under 2k a drive letter that was previously used does not become available again until you reboot. Eg. if you want to change your cd-rom from E to F, but theres already a partition.drive on F you will have to do it in these 2 stages - move the Drive/Partition to another letter, reboot, then move the cd-rom to F (Even though the drive/partition would move immediately and be usable at the new letter, F would not be available as a choice until the system was restarted).,

Advertisement