Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CR writing speed

• 02-02-2002 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

Hello all

I just tried to copy a cd. using adaptec software from a creative dvd to a yamaha 16 10 40 drive. I could only copy at 4 speed and it didn't finish as the buffer ran out(i think)

i just reinstalled windows and i am wondering if i am missing something as i used to copy files at 16 speed off the hard drive, before reformatting

i thought that yamaha had safe burn or something to prevent this??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Even if you're copying at the lowest speed, you can still get buffer problems. The best way to copy CD's it still to make an image on the hard drive first - I think Nero has an option for this. If you have the room of course.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

The burning software also have to support burn-proof before it's utilised so make sure you have the latest adaptec easy cd creator thingy etc. But are you sure it was a buffer underrun error?

And the reason why you can only copy the cd at 4 speed is mostly likely because of the creative dvdrom. They are really bad and reading speed on cdrs are very slow and a lot of the times doesn't recognize 80mins cdrs. Or it might be your cd writer and dvdrom sharing the same IDE channel causing problems, who knows. Best way to burn something is make an ISO first so just do that in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

The problem there is with the creative DVD-Rom drive for sure, it is probably the most useless DVD-Rom drive i have ever used.

I've got a Toshiba DVD-Rom and a yamaha 8x 4x 32x cd-rw drive, and i can copy at 8x on the fly with no buffer problems.

So in closing, try and get yourself a new or second hand DVD-Rom drive, i recomend a Toshiba as i love the beast its 12x and its 1.5 years old and Region free (i flashed it at some stage)
    my drive is an SD-M1402. One thing that has really impressed me about it over the length of time i have had it, is its complete compatibility with CD-r media and the fact that any game that has copy protection, it can read no problem, where as a lot of cd-rom/DVD-rom drives have trouble.
    Gooo Toshiba :)

Regards,
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If you're stuck with the Creative burner, then you'll have to do everything to minimise the chance of a buffer underrun, so that means defraging, making sure all the files to be burned are in the same folder, turning off everything that might cut in after a period of time such as screen savers and the stand-by and power down features on the monitor.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Stupid question but did you check to see what the max speed of the cd-r was?
    I thought my cd writer had broken when it was only burning at 4x then I noticed that the max of the cd-rw I was using was only 4x.

• Advertisement
Advertisement