Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all NT Script Kiddies!!!

• 20-11-2000 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭

Ok script kiddies, where the fup does one get a listing of the NT logon script commands?

I have this wonderful plan to get each w95 client machine to map a drive to \\%username%
    on the server and then set their office apps to default to that drive, thus cutting out a lot of muppetitis and making easy with the backup. Do I use the "net use" yoke or has someone got a better idea?

Answers on a propellerhead cap to this post or shoebat@yahoo.com

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

?

Maybe I'm missing some vital piece of information here.

But what I would do was share out thier "My Documents" area on thier machine as something like docs. I would give only Domain admin (or backup admin) read access to it.

then set up your backup machine with that access.

I would guess you could just add each machine to the backup list then?

or if your doing the reverse (which after reading it, that's what it sounds like).

Set up a share area on your main machine with thier name then it would be...

net use z: \\machine\%username%

As long as they are logged into the domain they should be able to access it fine.

The office app bit I dunno.

Well I'd rather the files all be on the server without the users having to know how to save them there. (God bless the Users).

It means that all the files can be virus scanned and backed up on one machine rather than having to get the backup to access 20 odd machines.

net use...
    Nice one I thought it was something like that. cheers Hobbes.

FYI In Word it's under File Locations in tools options.

I'm going to drag all their current files into their users folder and from thenceforth they shall save all to the server without even knowing.
    *cue evil cackling laughter*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The Doc/Template locations are stored in the registry. Use a .REG file to set the location - though I don't know how they react to NT variables in the text.

We use WISE here to repackage all our apps, but it's also good for making small .EXE's to handle this sort of thing.

Cheers creed but I'd rather do it manually than monkey around with the registries of these ancient pc's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

amp, if you type "net use /help" you can get more help on that option of the net command.

By the way what's your policy on virus protection? Scanning one machine? bad!

I currently have a policy in place that if a person does not have anti-virus software on thier machine then they are not allowed connect to the network until they do.

Likewise if they catch a virus. They get a bit upset because it disrupts thier work, but when they have the ability to shut down everyone for a day or more then I think it's worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

use novell

No there's client protection also, all of them auto-updating from the web. And yeah I know about help. It all worked fabulously, cheers!

P.s. Shut up Eamo

[This message has been edited by amp (edited 23-11-2000).]

Advertisement