Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win98, NT4 and printers

• 21-11-2000 6:14pm
    Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

There is a HP printer on a Win98 machine that one of my luser wants to connect to from his NT4 workstation machine. I gone through all the usual steps of installing an network printer, done the trouble shooting, but when I try and print to it, it says it cannot find it.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

oops, damn networks....

[This message has been edited by WhiteWashMan (edited 22-11-2000).]

setup the printer as a local printer on win98 pc
    setup the win98 machine for file and print sharing. share the printer.
    on nt workstaion, find win98 machine through network neighbourhood and doub;le click on printer. should automatically point to the machine. you dont have to install anything on the nt machine, its like creating a shoretcut except to a printer and not a document.

oh, and by the way, if you do do this it means you cant shut down the win98 machine if you want to print as its the machine with printer drivers etc.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

That's what I've done. There must be something wierd going on.

Draco

Originally posted by Hobbes:
    why not just connect it to the NT machine and tell him to print from that?
    W98 doesn't like NT network (least I have had horrible problems with it)
    The printer is in another office. He already connections to 3 other printers - why he wants to connect to this particular one I don't know. I have a feeling this guy is going to be a thorn in my side...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

why not just connect it to the NT machine and tell him to print from that?
    W98 doesn't like NT network (least I have had horrible problems with it)

• Advertisement

is there an NT machine in the other office?
    if so, hook it up to that and then share it out and try to point to it.
    could be that NT doesnt like your 98 setup like hobbes said. other than that i have no idea. i do this al the time in work and it works ok...

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    is there an NT machine in the other office?
    if so, hook it up to that and then share it out and try to point to it.
    could be that NT doesnt like your 98 setup like hobbes said. other than that i have no idea. i do this al the time in work and it works ok...
    It must be the 98 Setup. I may just go and install NT on the machine in the other office anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

How big is the sharename for the printer? I can't remember which one (Win9x or Nt) has a problem with Sharenames over 11 characters - it'll let you put them in but then screw up. I think it's Win9x so that may be pointless, but it might be worth just reducing it for a test.
    What happens if you install Generic Print Driver on both machines and share them/connect from the other? If it works then perhaps NT has a messed up version of the HP driver installed.
    Sry, straw grasping.....

Advertisement