Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless dsl?

• 03-02-2002 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

don't know how many people saw the piece on European Access Providers (www.eap.ie) the other week. Apparently, they're bringing wireless dsl to the market. Does anyone know what this actually is? Are they using 802.11? Website doesn't seem to be all that helpful...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Wireless DSL is not the correct term, its dsl equivalent over wireless tecnhology really.

I believe that they'll be using the IEEE802.11b standard which is in a license exempt band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Yep, I can see Eircom rolling that out with on schedule with all the other european providers.
    roflol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭bats

seems to be a rather clever way of going about supplying decent bandwidth though...or am i missing a nasty catch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dell are way ahead of yis...

http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=5924434

Could be a big money spinner for them, and might get eircom to pull the finger out. Well, it is getting a tad chilly in hell, so.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I doubt that they'd use Wi-Fi for a commercial offering, especially if they own the Formus equipment. The ODTR wouldn't allow it imho.

Brendan

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Dell are way ahead of yis...

That's a hardware and training solution seamus, concentrating on corporate WAN's. EAP are talking about service provision to wider area networks.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes I noticed just after I posted. :rolleyes: Feel free to taunt me. at your leisure of course ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Originally posted by bkehoe
    I doubt that they'd use Wi-Fi for a commercial offering, especially if they own the Formus equipment. The ODTR wouldn't allow it imho.

Brendan

I doubt they still have any of that Formus stuff as the company went into liquidation. Anyways if they did its useless to them without a license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

What kind of speed would you be able to get?

download and upload.

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

11MBit/sec at upto 2.5Km.
    Bandwidth decreases with distance (source: Lucent Orinoco)
    I've heard of people getting 1MBit at 25Km.
    It's unlicenced for use at >100mWatts.
    2.4Ghz Band, in direct contention with 3G (though they're dying on their feet - not even proper voice comms working yet)
    Pings are about 5ms for >1Km I think, rising to 50ms for really big distances ( I don't have exact figures beside me)

Visit www.irishwan.org for more info.

• Advertisement
Advertisement