Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best Isdn modem for gaming online?

Options
  • 03-02-2002 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

hey all,

I am getting a isdn line installed but I do not know what kind of isdn modem is best for online gaming ? I was told not to buy the one that eircom is selling ... but i was also told that there was some kick ass internal isdn modem going around that could give super pings ?

Anybody know of any great Isdn modems ?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I have an (internal) Eicon Diva and it's a great terminal adapter.
    I sometimes get pings as low as 34 when playing CS on an Irish server (using single channel dial-up).

Download speeds are usually about +7.5K per second (which is almost double those normally attainable with 56k), again using one channel.

I have heard good things about the Asus TA but have no experience with it. It is apparently quite cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

wow, ping of 34 !! thats better than eircom's istream :D !!

I'l be mainly playing on barrysworld servers though !! Do you know where I can buy the Eicon Diva from ? how much ?

thks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

a lot of online gamers use a ASUS TA - it will be dirt cheap and is brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    a lot of online gamers use a ASUS TA - it will be dirt cheap and is brilliant

yup
    Iheartly endorse this product or service.

as does richindub2, taz and infect0r i recon
    among others :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Ya - the asus ta rocks :) I got mine from www.overclockers.co.uk ,it'll be 40 sterling ish

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ando
    Do you know where I can buy the Eicon Diva from ? how much ?

Believe it or not PC World seems to be the cheapest place to buy them.
    A friend of mine bought his there just before Christmas and if memory serves, it was only around £60 IEP.

If I am passing by tomorrow I'll drop in and will post confirmation.

Although they are not much use if you are not in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

The Asus Com is cheaper and allegedly better; I use an Eicon Diva purchased in the establishment known as IT Direct for about 80 of my Irish pounds. That were about a year ago if i recall accurately.

There's probably not all that much difference between the Asus and the Eicon though.

thanks for the advice all,

going by what some are saying, I think i will try get a ASUS Terminal adapter.

Can some of you check this out for me? (I dont want to get the wrong TA !!)

Asus ISDNLink P-IN100-ST-D 128K ISDN Adapter
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_ISDN_Cards___Modems_50.html ?

it says 128k on it, but can I use 1 Isdn channel only if i want ?

it says 128k on it, but can I use 1 Isdn channel only if i want ?

Yes, you can just use the one channel.
    It says 128K on it because that is the speed it is capable of connecting at (using both 64K channels).

sweet, thanks

i'l tel ya what ping I get when i get the line installed, however long that takes considering we're talking about eircom here :p !

• Advertisement

omg.jpg

KICK ASSSSSSSSSSS

As ya can see, I got the Asus internal terminal adapter delivered today :D:D and BY GOD, that was the best few quid I've spent for years !! When the game server aint so full, I usually get a ping around 45 (barrysworld, england) :D which is supperb !!

Advertisement