Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best strategy game.

Options
  • 03-02-2002 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭

Get voting folks!

Best strategy game. 71 votes

C&C red alert 2
    0% 0 votes
    Starcraft
    14% 10 votes
    Age of empires 2
    12% 9 votes
    Total annihalation
    26% 19 votes
    commandos 2
    11% 8 votes
    Tib sun
    0% 0 votes
    Homeworld
    1% 1 vote
    Civ.3
    9% 7 votes
    Shogun
    16% 12 votes
    Dune 2
    7% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I voted homeworld as imo its the best in 'that' lot ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Ive always found homeworld to be very interesting apart from the poxie camera angles its ra2 all the way for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Total Annihilation all the way, still to be bettered even though it's 4 or 5 years old.

Its HW C I'v played, not HW :o a well they can't be 'too' different ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Hmmm no Atari Jaguar option so I guess I'll have to pick Civ3. Currently I'm too scared to load it up, as if I do I'll still be playing 14 hours later.

And even thinking about it makes my wonder if I'll be able to develop modern armour before the damned french. And if I should mount a massive strike against them before or after I try and destroy the Zulus.

Must... resist... urge....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

I demand that you add Dark Reign to that poll!

Celt - for your information, Total Annhialation sucked. You've obviously never played Dark Reign.

After Dark Reign id say Civ 3, but its tough to compare them - youre keeping large scale turn based strategy games in the same category as Real Time Strategy??

A

god how did i forget!
    Birth of the Federation ... yes i'm still playing it :D love that game, not the best but definitally one of my fav's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Too hard to choose between AoE2 or starcraft :o
    Finally voted for AoE2,because it kepy me occupied all last summer.........ALL last summer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

have to go for RA2
    i love all the C&C games but i finished RA2 about 5 times it was that good :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Uphamizer

AoE2 is my best strategy game of all time :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

None of the above. You should at least have done a thread finding out what people thought the options were before firing in with a horribly incomplete thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Having not played any of the others, I've voted AoE2 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

One of the Panzer/Allied/Pacific general series, none of which are included above.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Shinji
    None of the above. You should at least have done a thread finding out what people thought the options were before firing in with a horribly incomplete thread.

Yeah! FFS! What about all the yet-to-be-released Japanese subtitled strategy games for the Neo-Geo!

amp - who has seen Shinji criticize almost every poll posted on Games but has yet to see him post his own poll :)

Originally posted by Asuka

Celt - for your information, Total Annhialation sucked. You've obviously never played Dark Reign.

After Dark Reign id say Civ 3, but its tough to compare them - youre keeping large scale turn based strategy games in the same category as Real Time Strategy??

A
    Dark Reign.
    1)Graphics are bad.
    2)Way less units than TA.
    3)No where near as much units or maps as TA.
    4)Worse unit physics than TA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Hi folks,

Just to add my 2 cents.....

Of that lot (the ones I've played anyway) Shogun is the one I've picked, no unecessary micro-management and a really good mix of turn-based and real-time play. Together with the Mongul Invasion add-on pack it's kept me going for longer than any game I've ever owned (well over a year). I've never played the Civilisation games (to my shame) but I played Alpha Centauri (which is very similar or so I'm told) for a few months and really enjoyed it.

At the end of the day though it all comes down to taste. You might as well have a poll on which is the 'best' flavour of crisp, or which Spice Girl was the ugliest.

Bosco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

How many times have you played TA? "you have obviously never played"

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

pfff - you can't compare TBS and RTS. Besides - Civ 3 is the daddy. Launching a blitzkrieg against the germans using lots of armies full of tanks is just too ironic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Dark Reign....LOL! :D TA wins by miles.

Voted Shogun, probably the most realistic game of the bunch, and also cause of the Ninja FMVs which were like Totally Awesome!!! DUDE!!

Just wondering...what games are you on about their Shinj?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Vivi

AOK its a game ill never get sick of and im playing it for the last 2 or 3 months

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by Shinji

Oh go on then, Robbo, enlighten us. It's only a flipping poll post :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Celt

Dark Reign.
    1)Graphics are bad.
    Wrong. Graphics were more impressive than TA with ease. I have absolutely no idea where you got this one from, as Dark Reign's graphics were noted for being remarkably good (better than any previous OR subsequent C&C game)
    2)Way less units than TA.
    Also not true. Dark Reign had in fact MORE units (and buildings) than TA. Dark Reign had 2 sides with completely different units however. Also, there were a lot more buildings, which played active and innovative roles in the game. There were no sea units, but since by the nature of the game sea was only blocking terrain, this was no great loss.
    3)No where near as much units or maps as TA.
    First off youre repeating yourself here. Secondly, i have absolutely no idea how many maps TA came with, but if it was more than 30, you are correct, but the last 10 maps were superfluous.
    4)Worse unit physics than TA.
    Unit physics? If what you mean by this is it wasnt realistic, then youre right. How exactly do you implement 'Sim Futuristic Warfare'? If you mean the general physics are dodgy, then i will certainly accept that (Neutron Accelerator may be a cool name, but its a damn stupid thing to make a gun from). Im not entirely sure what you mean here. Game physics are important in action games, not RTS games. What i DO know is the terrain system used in Dark Reign was both original and brilliant.

Also, in relation to the maps thing, Dark Reign shipped with a truly excellent Map editor, with which i have created many maps, and scenarios (it allows you to edit anything from victory conditions to unit AI).

More of Dark Reign's advantages - Brilliant music and sounds, dark steely graphical style, innovative weapons (BIG guns).

Get this game, its only a fiver in most shops now, cos idiots are still playing Total Annihilation crap.
    How many times have you played TA? "you have obviously never played"
    Not true, I actually got that copy working (which i had for ages but wouldnt run). Its mediocre at best.
    Dark Reign....LOL! TA wins by miles.
    Sigh... another victim of marketing and peer pressure... ;)

A

Wrong. Graphics were more impressive than TA with ease. I have absolutely no idea where you got this one from, as Dark Reign's graphics were noted for being remarkably good (better than any previous OR subsequent C&C game)
    TA had 3d units, a max res of 1200 (iirc) whereas Dark Reign was 2d with 640*480 res?
    And also, any review I have read says TA's gaphics were better although sometimes it was hard to tell units apart at the start.
    Also not true. Dark Reign had in fact MORE units (and buildings) than TA. Dark Reign had 2 sides with completely different units however. Also, there were a lot more buildings, which played active and innovative roles in the game. There were no sea units, but since by the nature of the game sea was only blocking terrain, this was no great loss.
    Something like 75-100 units per side, and with both of the add-ons, i think that increased to around 250-300 per side.
    Also Dark Reign suffered a bit because of this scenario.
    1 side builds tanks, other built tank killers, 1 side built inf, other side built inf killers whereas TA was most certainly not.

And I said a bit, i know there were also distinct differences between them.
    First off youre repeating yourself here. Secondly, i have absolutely no idea how many maps TA came with, but if it was more than 30, you are correct, but the last 10 maps were superfluous.
    Sorry meant 3rd party units and maps.
    There are currently around 3600-4000 3rd party TA maps and concurrent figures for units as around 50 mods some changing them game to a wholly space based strategy game.
    Unit physics? If what you mean by this is it wasnt realistic, then youre right. How exactly do you implement 'Sim Futuristic Warfare'? If you mean the general physics are dodgy, then i will certainly accept that (Neutron Accelerator may be a cool name, but its a damn stupid thing to make a gun from). Im not entirely sure what you mean here. Game physics are important in action games, not RTS games. What i DO know is the terrain system used in Dark Reign was both original and brilliant.
    I mean a tank moves like a tank and behaves like a tank, an aircraft banks, barrel rolls and fights like aircraft, ships leave a wake and take ages to turn around. Also, elevation was much better implemented than dark reign and just look at the way plasma shells arc.
    Also, in relation to the maps thing, Dark Reign shipped with a truly excellent Map editor, with which i have created many maps, and scenarios (it allows you to edit anything from victory conditions to unit AI).
    TA has a good map editor but it wasnt released initially.
    Actually, TA has 3rd party editors for everything now
    More of Dark Reign's advantages - Brilliant music and sounds, dark steely graphical style, innovative weapons (BIG guns).
    TA had good music, excellent and manifold weapons (gatling cannon, big bertha, intimidator and buzzsaw owns)
    Get this game, its only a fiver in most shops now, cos idiots are still playing Total Annihilation crap.
    It's more likely people are still playing TA because it is a quality rts that has yet to be truly bettered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Gotta be Starcraft. Used to love C+C, still like it but basically now I just find that whoever gets tanks fastest wins. No unit counters,no unit piccies (minor,i know but I like it) and not enough variety between teams.
    I really think that this game (SC) isnt gettin' enough recognition. Great fun+enjoyable story. Hell maybe I'm wrong,maybe you just al hate it but if you havent played it please give it a go.
    And now to keep the above argument goin,I havent played DR bur found TA ****etastic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I dont play strategy games very often, only multiplayer vs my sister when shes home from college, but i have tried out a few of the mentioned games, and the only one we would play now is Cossacks: European Wars. Its a bit boring, but you can get thousands of units in the game at once, and its good fun making huge armies unlike in AOE 2 where you've only got 200 units max

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

It's Shogun, without a shadow of a doubt :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

amp - who has seen Shinji criticize almost every poll posted on Games but has yet to see him post his own poll

Hey, if you're going to do it, do it right. I don't have time to do it right, so I don't do it :)

Point remains though. If you want to poll for the best strategy game, where's Master of Orion, or Stars, or Space Empires? All of them a lot more in-depth than any of those mentioned. Where, as was asked, is Dark Reign or its sequel - both of which have major RTS fan followings? Where's Final Fantasy Tactics or Hoshigami? Hell, Advance Wars even? Kessen?

You've named a selection of roughly similar PC RTS games and asked folk to pick the "best strategy game". The only real odd ones out are Shogun and Commandos 2, and even at that I don't notice a single game there that isn't on the PC, and bugger all that isn't very recent indeed.

Come on, variety is the spice of life :)

(And for what it's worth, my vote would go to Final Fantasy Tactics, for being hard as nails and bloody brilliant, with Space Empires probably in second place despite how astonishingly bad I am at it...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Shogun.......

So much funin playing, in trying to defeat the enemy, or trying to defend from him....
    so many units, properly organised.....
    great graphics, sound and presentation and atmosphere

TA had 3d units, a max res of 1200 (iirc) whereas Dark Reign was 2d with 640*480 res?

Dark Reign was 800*600. The units were indeed sprites, but made from 3d models, which, afaik, is the same as TA.
    And also, any review I have read says TA's gaphics were better although sometimes it was hard to tell units apart at the start.
    At this stage we're arguing over personal taste. But I dont take my opinions from reviews ive read (in particular because TA got tons of publicity, and Dark Reign didnt, and that has a tendency to bias a lot of reviewers).
    Something like 75-100 units per side, and with both of the add-ons, i think that increased to around 250-300 per side.
    Yes, ranging from the 'Crap footsoldier', 'lame footsoldier', 'slightly better footsoldier', 'footsoldier who carries a stick', 'reasonably good footsoldier', 'ok footsoldier' etc. right up to the 'really damn leet footsoldier'. My point being that the units were mostly boring and unoriginal. As opposed to Dark Reign.
    Also Dark Reign suffered a bit because of this scenario.
    1 side builds tanks, other built tank killers, 1 side built inf, other side built inf killers whereas TA was most certainly not.
    Theres a tactic for RTS games which is considered cheating by some players - its called strategy. :rolleyes: Dark Reign did indeed have units called Tank Hunters, which were remarkably good against tanks, but they were also notably useless against infantry, and didnt have any air defence. In fact, as a general rule, building tank hunters is a waste of time. As for infantry - infantry quickly becomes outdated in a game, but yet is still a very potent strategy in a full frontal attack (grunt rush). I think youll find that almost every unit in the game is good at killing infantry, but the sheer size of infantry armies you can build up is more impressive than anything TA does. The sides are indeed very different, but also very well tested and balanced.
    Sorry meant 3rd party units and maps.
    There are currently around 3600-4000 3rd party TA maps and concurrent figures for units as around 50 mods some changing them game to a wholly space based strategy game.
    I cant argue this point A) Because ive never played TA online and B) Because i never played Dark Reign regularly online, but i am aware that there is a very large third party following of Dark Reign, and considering the ease of making maps for the game, i would imagine there are tons of them out there. Ive even made a few myself.
    It's more likely people are still playing TA because it is a quality rts that has yet to be truly bettered.
    Yeah. You just keep telling yourself that :rolleyes:

Total Annihilation, kids, just say no.

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

ffs!!
    Will you lot stop moanign and bi*ching about how much better TA is than DR (and vica versa) it is 100% opinion,and this annoying and pathetic flaming
    IS NOT NEEDED
    So PLZ,stop saying how good your game is and let others post their opinions without douzens of completely useless spam posts.

Advertisement