Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best strategy game.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Its called a discussion. You may have heard of it. There is nothing inflammatory about it.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭MelKor

AOK ALL THE WAY i will never again find a game im truly good at. i loved that game soo much, i bought it as soon as it came out and i kept playing it until............

Originally posted by Vivi
    AOK its a game ill never get sick of and im playing it for the last 2 or 3 months

give me back my ****ing game sean :mad: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Shinji

Hey, if you're going to do it, do it right. I don't have time to do it right, so I don't do it :)

So by that rational people who actually do make the effort to pick a couple of what they think are good choices should be wary of the little time you do have to critisize polls. lol.

Well hey, I'm a fellow Games mod, so next time you think of a poll why not mail/pm me your list and I'll happily post it up for you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Unfair Amp. I commented on a list someone posted and said it wasn't complete in the slightest, and I've clarified that comment with some of the things I thought should be included.

I don't see what the fúck that has to do with me not posting up polls. It hasn't struck you that perhaps I'm not particularly pushed about posting polls, and would rather post things like news or help when folk ask about release dates and so on?

Get off that high horse. And stop feeding it drugs, making horses high is bold.

I just don't believe in posting a poll like that off the bat without any discussion beforehand. For the games of the year poll, you read through the threads discussing the best games of the years and took your suggestions from that, and that was a great list for a poll. This one was just off the cuff and I think if we're going to stick Sticky polls to the top of an increasingly busy forum, at least they should be decent ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Originally posted by Shinji

...Stars...,

:rolleyes:

Could we just rename the poll to 'Best PC RTS' and just dump Civ3 out of it. Is it possible to reset polls?

Or why not do a 'Best of the worst strategy games' poll?

Ya..we could stick Dark Reign and Stars in there and all the yet-to-be-released Japanese subtitled strategy games for the Neo-Geo.

THEN EVERYONE CAN BE HAPPY...or failing that, Shinji and Asuka!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I'll get off my high horse if you get off yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Vivi

Originally posted by BiTchiN
    give me back my ****ing game sean :mad: :D [/B]

Aaaammmm................... No!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Have not played any of the others but think AOK is excellent. Must check out some of the others if you all think so highly of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

2 mods yelling at each other,thats a 1st,lol.

[No it's not, lol]

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

LOL, Space Empires, not heard that name in a while. Which one rob, 1,2,3 or 4 ? :o

2 was very simplistic but was fun with a few people, if you had a few hours to spare.
    3 was initially very complicated, then very simple, then a few hours in ridiculously complicated again when you have hundreds of ships, mines etc. If you had the patience and several days it was pretty good though.
    4 - I only played the demo, thought it sucked, never played it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

In my opinion it would be nearly a tie between RA2 and TA, and DR would be one of the last games I would play...yes I do own a copy of it.:(

My preferance goes to RA2:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Ther my choices and i stand by them.p.s thank you amp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

AOE2 was brilliant and just as it seemed dated, they brought out the Conquerers which gave it a huge lease of life!

Seond place to Civ3, if only the games took less than the whole nite (and the next morning)!

X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

I voted starcraft. That game rocks ive finished it at least 3 times. I cant believe its being overlooked. :mad:

Anyone ever played Dungeon Keeper, thats by far the most addictive strategy ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Homeworld ownz AOE2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Total Annihilation has more depth than the rock, paper, sizzors play mechanics of RA2, AoE and Starcrap. I've been playing it online for 4 years and run 2 TA websites as well as working for www.tauniverse.com

The engine is more flexable, the 3rd party unit scene is huge with 1800 units available on TAUS. There are 3 gigs of maps on TAMEC. Their are about 20 to 30 modifications and 5+ new races.

There are 300 units in the game before you even start adding new ones making RA2's navy and airforce a joke.

What I love about TA is it cuts down micromanagement in every possible way, the interface never gets in the way, there are no stupid limitations on where you can build, you can queue units instead of manually building each one, there are no irritating and stupid harvesters. Every game to date has copied CnC except TA. I can't wait till Chris Taylor finishes Dungeon Siege and starts his RTS because then we're going to see TA's spiritual successor, even if they won't be using the TA liscence.

[edit]Dark Rein is a fine title but it was'nt as good as TA. Cavedog released new units on a weekly basis, they listened to what people wanted in terms of rebalancing and they made an engine that is moddable and more flexable than DR.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Total Annihilation - so expandable, and so many excellent and simple ideas that other companies still have not had the sense to rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Hmmm... call me stubborn, but i quite simply prefer the style of DR. I guess it comes down to personal preference in the end.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

stubborn

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Voted Civ3 cos it has robbed me of my life the past few weeks.
    Shinji, I read somewhere that advance wars was pulled after sept 11. Really wanted to get that game and its not in any of the shops.

Wheres the Connect 4?????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Advance Wars is in the shops now. Ninty delayed the game after September the 11th (despite the fact that it was already out in the US) because apparantly brightly coloured cartoon soldiers shooting at each other would be too sensitive.

Anyway, it was released over here a few weeks ago. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

Age of empires 2 is a great game, long but good.........

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Thankfully Dune 2 is there and that pretty much cancels out C&C Red Alert2, Starcraft, TA, Tib Sun, or any of the Dune2 clones if you look at things from a macro view - they're all based on the rts concept which Dune2 introduced and it even got the story feel to things sorted. Civ3 owns the turn based genre and Shogun did what Myth:The Fallen Lords started and did strategy well in 3d. Wheres the Dungeon Keepers, The Mega Lo Manias, the North & South's - strategy games have been stagnant for a long time now - its rarely about bring out a new concept, just hashing up a new Dune2 clone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Sorry but anyone who didn't vote for Homeworld is wrong. It clearly owns all the others on the list with Age of Empires coming in 2nd. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by Greenbean
    Thankfully Dune 2 is there and that pretty much cancels out C&C Red Alert2, Starcraft, TA, Tib Sun, or any of the Dune2 clones if you look at things from a macro view - they're all based on the rts concept which Dune2 introduced and it even got the story feel to things sorted. Civ3 owns the turn based genre and Shogun did what Myth:The Fallen Lords started and did strategy well in 3d. Wheres the Dungeon Keepers, The Mega Lo Manias, the North & South's - strategy games have been stagnant for a long time now - its rarely about bring out a new concept, just hashing up a new Dune2 clone.
    Sweet Jesus, Mega Lo Mania :)
    Remember seeing that in a megadrive magazine and looking for it for around 6 months before i found it in Banba in town :)
    btw, saying every rts is a dune 2 clone is very silly.
    Just because Dune 2 was the first(?) really popular rts, doesnt mean every other rts after copied it.

"they're all based on the rts concept which Dune2 introduced"

I was talking about the subset of rts games that are like Dune2 - and defintely any that I mentioned from a macro view are clones. See, when I say something, I cover my ass :) Always re-read just to make sure you've not picked it up wrong.

Seriously, back in the old days (/me's eyes mist up), there used to be substancially different games coming out all the time. But there seems to be a lack of willingness to try out original ideas (or a lack of inspiration) these days. Thats ok if you're just learning the ropes, but now a days people almost think the dune2 genre is all strategy games are about. Startopia, Black&White, RailRoad Tycoon, Tropico would all be strategies - but ask most people and they'll say "ack they're not really strategies" and they mean in the dune2 sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Dune 2 ananolgy is utter rubish.

Anyway. There was a RTS in the style of Dune 2 2 years before that called Herzog Zwei waaay back in 1988 on the Mega Drive. Mega-lo-mania is a fantastic tytle. About the only 16bit game with decent voices: "Ergonomically terrific!"

Total Annihilation does'nt folllow the Dune/CnC style of play mechanics. Resourses are mined in fixed positions instead of harvested and the units are balanced mathematically instead of rock/paper/sizzors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

[shadow=yellow]*amp test* :rolleyes:[/shadow]

Blitz, comon, you're poking at small details. I'm talking about the bigger picture, if that wasn't already clear? Herzog Zwei didn't become the one game who's creation influenced the creation of warcraft and the c&c series and all that followed, Dune2 did. TA was definitely a creation influenced by it. Admittedly it was probably an enevitability that the mine/resource, create units, attack in realtime, style of strategy game was going to happen eventually but it took one game to solidify the notion and start the ball rolling by being so good others had to notice. Guess what game that was?

Alot of games that come out, people just take current games and tweak them a little - no big risk, no really original titles - half them aren't even better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement