Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GeForce2 conflicts/game lockups

• 25-11-2000 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

When I check the resource settings in Control Panel for my Geforce2 GTS, it gives the following conflicts:

Memory Range DC000000 - DCFFFFFF used by:
    VIA Tech CPU to AGP Controller
    Memory Range D0000000 - D7FFFFFF used by:
    VIA Tech CPU to AGP Controller

I recently installed the VIA 4-in-1 drivers for my motherboard (Abit K7T-Raid), which Gerry suggested to me. I also moved my SB Live to a different PCI slot which cleared up some conflicts, but the GeForce is AGP so I can't move it.
    At various stages, pretty much all of my 3D games have crashed in one way or another, and my best guess is that it's because of this 'VIA Tech CPU to AGP Controller' conflict.
    However I've no idea how to fix this. Can anyone help? This is driving me absolutely nuts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭koloth

Make sure you're running with a 300 powersupply unit as listed on the approved list on AMD's web site. I was running more or less the same config on a 'normal' kt7 with a 200psu and experienced hard lockups in games after 2mins to 5 mins. Shoved in a 300psu and no more lockups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Yeah I have a 300w PSU. I figure it must be some sort of configuration/setup error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

You're not still using Win95 by any chance?
    The USB patch added full AGP functionality but would still give you this type of conflict (Even though it is actually functioning correctly).

If you don't have an IRQ conflict on the Vid card, do you know if it just happens on D3D or OpenGl aswell?
    There are so many things to try, best thing is to hunt down the Geforce FAQ online, I don't have a link but Voodooextreme pop in links to the updates about once a week - or just search for it. It has pretty much every bug in the book.
    Last resort would be to clear the CMOS by jumper, it sorts out a surprising amount of untraceable problems.

Choose Witches over Mermaids every time, 'cos Mermaids they don't fly....

Actually I am using 95. I've considered changing to 98, but I figured this would just create more problems than it solved. Do you think I should upgrade?

As far as I can see, it happens in both D3D and OpenGL games. I have a sneaking suspicion it has something to do with my soundcard (SB Live!), so I'm going to disable it and see if that fixes anything.

98's a better bet definitely for hardware compatibility these days. Win95(b or C) was only really patched for USB and AGP (USB in particular on 9x is very unstable).

Here's summat you could try:
    http://www.viahardware.com/agp4xfix.shtm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Agp 4x is pure marketing, it offers no performance increase. For stability, you should set your agp to 2x, install windows 98, and the latest via drivers, and you should be sorted.

Well then that's what I'll do.
    Thanks a mil guys.

Originally posted by Gerry:
    Agp 4x is pure marketing, it offers no performance increase.

But it SOUNDS better.. Makes you think all your Rev-up bits are revving as they should....even if it's idle... smile.gif

Advertisement