Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading

• 26-11-2000 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

ok i've finally decided to take the plunge and upgrade my p166. Ok whats some good (preferbly good and easy on the pocket) upgrades? give me the names of motherboards,processors/ram/hardrives and roughly there prices. I'll probably get gerry to sort me out, but i want to know what stuff i want before i go to him.

[This message has been edited by Vincent (edited 26-11-2000).]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Dunno.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Well, if you're going to Gerry I know it's useless mentioning AMD Athlon Thunderbirds... smile.gif

Thunderbirds
    ThunderBirds
    ThunderBIRDS

go....

(Subliminal eh?)

Basically the same performance as the P-III (Slightly stronger on some, slightly weaker on others). But they're a LOT cheaper.
    Have a look at http://www.Overclockers.co.uk anyway, their bundles section. They sell gauranteed overclocked parts. My last 2 system upgds have been from here, and I know a lot of other folks from these boards buy there too.

If you're on a budget go for a Duron CPU. It is to Thunderbirds what the Celeron-II is to the P-III, but hands down outperforms Celeron-II's with ease.
    The Abit KT-7 motherboard is a bit more expensive than most but is excellent for AMD CPU's. You can also get the RAID version, the main advantage here if you don't actually want to play with RAID is that you'll have 4 fully functional IDE ports (2xATA-66, and 2xATA-100), for a total of 8 devices (Or just 4 masters which speeds things a little).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Well if you are not going with the p3 800 upgrade which I discussed with you, I would say you should probably go with overclockers.co.uk . Their bundle with a tbird 850 clocked to 1ghz, the afforementio ned kt7-raid motherboard, and a fop-32 cpu cooler comes to £360 irish. plus delivery which i presume is £10-20. That doesnt include ram, or a case or a power supply. Basically the tbird cpu's are a lot cheaper than the p3, but motherboards are still more expensive. The kt7-raid is working out at about £160 Irish. The problem is that there are only a few boards, like the kt7-raid which are actually any good, whereas there are loads of good p3 motherboards. The p3 motherboards are roughly £100-120. You could go with a duron either, but for games that would be a
    bit slower than the p3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

From my workin out buying the tbird package from uk costs £20-40 less, but i'd probabbly need a new case, because of diff power supply, but gerry has told me i dont need a new case by getting the p3. i'm leaning towards gerry atm so. Gerry do u overclock processors for people, and can u overclock pentiums anyway?, and how much do u charge for installing all the components? motherboard etc, and one more thing smile.gif Why dont u do athlons?

[This message has been edited by Vincent (edited 27-11-2000).]

Advertisement