Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Slate CAN be saved

• 03-02-2002 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭

I don't know how many of you are aware that it's been banned from distrubution on the UCD campus. If you want information on the background, go here. Of course, there's really no reason why anyone should care other than UCD students (and professional protesters) but let's open up a discussion to see how it can be saved.

This is what I've found out:

Though the college administration has banned The Slate (which is, itself, a contradictory issue), there's another way to get distributed on campus.

If The Slate went to either the Students' Union or some society and offered to pay the Union or society 1c in an advertising deal, their publication would automatically be classified under "material relating to activities or events organised by the university, its departments, clubs or societies" [Caroline Hussey, Registrar]. All the big papers that get thrown about during the year are permitted distribution by the UCDSU (straight ahead sponsorship deals), not by the college.

I'm not sure exactly what over-arching powers the college has over such a deal but it's certainly worth a try.

Does anyone know anything about this? Or any other way?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There was an ickle article in Friday's Herald about this. The Herald seemed shocked by the frot cover of the latest edition with the title 'The Blacks in the Jacks', obviously looking to discuss the situation of black people in toilets in clubs, and the writer said the article inside was 'racist' and 'degrading' when obvioulsy it wasn't. They also apparently contacted Admin in UCD who said they hadn't banned the Slate - They claimed that anyone who wanted to distribute material on campus had to ask them first, which the editors of the Slate hadn't done, and hence they were stopped from distributing it. Hmmm....

I dont see why admin should choose what we read....at the end of the day, you don't have to read what they give you, so it doesn't matter if the material is offensive to anyone, you choose to read it. Dada - shouldn't you have posted this on your board?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Couldnt they simply distribute it off campus- i.e just outside the gates or something. The college isnt deciding what you can or cannot read- it just doesnt want it distributed on its property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Dada - shouldn't you have posted this on your board?

Nah, this is a political issue!

Sand: that's a pretty bad idea. Imagine the amount of effort you'd have to put in? It's simply not practical.

Depends on whether theyre willing to sit outside the gates and distribute the slate there. If theyre not then ......

Personally I would think given the editors attitude problems as demonstrated before, that he wouldnt do it because he wouldnt get the great big conflict with the establishment he seems to want so badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

How the hell would you know, you weren't there. Stop making dump assumptions. Have you ever read The Slate? Did you see what went on on Friday?

What 'attitude problems' are you talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I think Sand is referring to the email that was forwarded to you and Von. All I have to base my opinion of the Slate is an email suppost to have come from its editor where he came across as an immature "angry" little student. If it is an example of the quality of this magazine then UCD should have tried to have it shut down and not just banned it from their site.

However as some of the people here who are crying foul are intelligent I'm willing to give it the benifit of the doubt. If there is a online version, fire a link to it here or if one of you readers have the time can you scan in a page. I'm just curious to check it out at this stage.

Gandalf.

Lol Dad you make it sound like it was Nam or something- "You werent even there, man!" Youre right though- I dont see why its so hard to distribute the slate just off the campus.

Gandalf is right, thats what I was referring to when I mentioned the editors attitude problem. I would have described him as a Judean Peoples Front prat myself but how and ever:)

Advertisement