Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coying from tape

• 25-11-2000 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

i have conected my walkman to the mic port on my soudcard and it plays fine and i can hear it fine but the problem is when i go to record it, the windows recorder will only let me record 60 seconds. so does anyone know of a program which will allow me to record longer times? cheers

[This message has been edited by stu_69 (edited 25-11-2000).]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

www.goldwave.com

Couple of tips, Firstly the quality is going to be ****ty. Nothing you can do about that really, except try clean it up afterwards.

Secondly, the mic input of your soundcard is coming in @ -10Db. IE it will boost the sound so it will be over blown and distored. to fix this, reduce the windows volume in, gauge it by the volume indicator on goldwave. Or use a line in if sound card supports it. Also turn off mic boost if you have it switched on.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

My god, Lump's gone all techy....What have you done with the real John!..... smile.gif

Goldwave is great for the original recording. The only thing I'd add though is to go to Syntrillium.com and get Cooledit and the hiss reduction plugin. You record from the tape, then record a portion of 'silence' (Hiss) from the same tape to the pluging filter - it then rescans the original recording and removes the Hiss.

Creed, is that free ware, I also use Sound forge alot. But tisn't freeware.

Sound is my area creed thats why I sound like a tech head.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

If memory serves it'll work for free without the plugins, but you need to register to get them working (~60 quid I think....Its been months since I downloaded it). Still, if you're planning on transferring your tape collection it'd be a worthy investment.

This is what I've been planning to do for the last year....I'll get there someday.....

So, do you actually write music then? If so, what do you use?

No, I don't write music, I tip away at messing around with Sound forgre, cubase rebirth. My main area is location sound recording for films, and the editing/clean up of dialouge. I have worked on two feature length films, doing the above. Have attend work experience in Ardmore, lime street and rte. I've being doing it since I was 12 and hope to contuinue that way. I would (in the long run) like to work as an engineer in a sound studio music I hope but as far as me being musical goes.... I'm not.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

so how did it go ?

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

Advertisement