Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboard question

• 03-02-2002 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

I have a Tabor 3 mobo here with a P3 750Mhz Intel chip in it (slot 1). the FSB speed is 100Mhz. I've been offered a 1Ghz P3 chip (socket 370) for... lets just say its cheap...

I got a converter to allow me to connect the 1ghz chip into the slot 1 socket but problem being that the new chip has an fsb speed of 133Mhz. I plugged it in this afternoon, it still worked but the bios still reported the speed as 750Mhz with a fsb speed of 100Mhz. Short of changing the motherboard is there anything I can do to get the new chip up & flying? I've updated the bios to the most recent one I could find. Ohh and the mobo is jumperless. The gateway website reckons I can change the processor speed in the bios but I couldnt find anything to allow me to do that.

As you can tell, I havent got a great amount of experience with this. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Basically it won't do 133mhz. It is a bx board, and they aren't validated for 133mhz operation by intel. Many bx boards will run perfectly at 133mhz and above, but these are not oem boards for dell/compaq/gateway machines. They are all limited to 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

cheers for the info Gerry. Might use this opportunity to get a new board so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

The Tabor 3 is not jumperless.. there is a 3 pin jumper (J7b1) on it.. the jumper covers pins 1+2 for normal, move over to 2+3 for config mode.. you turn on sys it goes into bios straight away where you cvan clear passwords and set cpu speed etc.. (dont think you can change FSB thought) Also you take off the jumper for bios recovery.. you know it boots up with a bios boot disk (no display) and beeps when its finished the update! Its only jumperless in that there is no dedicated CPU jumper, but you need to move a jumper all the same to change it .. great huh
    anyway no you cant change the FSB anyway so this is probably nice info but your getting a new board anyway.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Basically whats happening is that you your 1 gig chip has a multiplier of 7.5(7.5 x133 =997.5) and when you run it at 100mhz you are still getting 750(7.5 x 100)
    You can buy a p3 1.0 gig in a socket 370 with a 100 fsb which should run fine on your board.By the way is your 750mhz cpu a coppermine chip as im still trying to find out if your motherboard(mine also)supports coppermine cpu`s.
    Did you have any probs with the slocket adapter?Has it got a voltage adjustment on it and if it has what make/where did you buy it?

YES the Tabor 3 (if thats what you have also richie18) does support coppermine with bios rev P12 and above

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Saruman are you 100% sure of that as gateways website is suffering from "outdated manual syndrome" and only list the board as taking katmai pentium 2 cpus up to 500mhz but Im currently running a p3 600.Ive been offered a p3 1.0gig in a slot 1 100fsb and am wary as ive got conflicting advice on this question.I believe that slot 1 1.0 gig are as rare as rocking horse s**t.I have bios revision 14? Well i think thats what it is.
    Where did you get your info?
    If youre right then I owe you one big time.
    Thanks

Where i get my info is easy.. I worked for them (Gateway) and i now work for the company that took on the Gateway Techs. I will say we never tried a 1ghz slot 1 chip on the boards, did not say you could use one.. i told you where to change cpu speed and that info is correct.. cant say for certain it will see a 1 gig... it WILL see up to 850mzh as thats what shipped with the board before we changed to socket 370 boards. But yes it does support coppermine.. you could move the jumper and go through the list and see what the highest one in the list is!

Just check that first.. its possible the coppermine supported bios (like the one you have) takes away the option so you cant change the cpu speed and its automatic! But YES again yours will take coppermine cpu's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

The Tabor 3 was still being shipped with p3 chips up until the p4 chips & mobos started being shipped right? Ergo it is 'probably possible' to get a bios flash for the Tabor 3 to support 1ghz. Ask Gateway, they will have all the pertinant information on bios information for that mobo. Just send a mail to support asking for the latest bios version and the speed of chip that the latest bios version will support.
    Or something

So saruman you were one of those so called "tech support" people who I sat on a phone with for hours at a time trying to get info on my pc.(LOL)Just joking.But seriously thanks a lot.I think ill try this cpu,but i cant find a later bios than the one I have so Im assuming its the latest.
    You dont think that there should be a problem with voltages as the Katmai uses 2.2v and the coppermine uses 1.6.Does the bios update include support for the lower voltages in the coppermine chips?

It has an automatic voltage switch.. though if thats not working it could expain burnt out cpu's... hmm.. no kidding.. sorry.. umm
    click this link for bios P14 http://uk.gateway.com/ftp/bios/desktop/tabor3/vp14.exe#http://193.95.174.112/ftp/bios/desktop/tabor3/vp14.exe#

An eh no you could not have talked to me, not in the last 2 years or more.. im Corporate/Servers so i deal with so caled IT administrators who have no idea what the hell they are doing.. seriously i mean i have only once or twice come across one who KNEW what he was doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

He has already stated that the board supports coppermines, and that gateway sold machines with that board and coppermines. You don't think gateway would run a coppermine at 2 volts, now do you?

Sorry Gerry I was just slagging.I miss those long lonely nights sitting with a phone at my ear for hours on end waiting on some person who doesnt know one end of a pc from another(Not you saruman).
    Any way thanks for all the help.No doubt Ill have another few questions b4 I finish my upgrading(now where did I put that dual slot 1 motherboard)mmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Originally posted by richie18
    Did you have any probs with the slocket adapter?Has it got a voltage adjustment on it and if it has what make/where did you buy it?

I got one from Dawn Computers, and it allows the mb to auto detect the voltage & freq. Supports 66/100/133 Mhz
    Can't remember the price, but cheap.

Advertisement