Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem problems!!

Options
  • 03-02-2002 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭

I just got a brand new comp and i havve a HSP56 world micro modem. IM pinging at 350+ in cs on radox. Ive tried oceanfree and club and its not the line cause i got fine ping on my 33.6k.
    I dont want to get a new modem, ive payed a lot for the comp and ive no money.

So does any know how to tweak a modem or what the best settings are for gaming please help!!!

PLEASE HELP!!! ive waited so long for this computer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

hsp56 = hsf = host signal processing = winmodem = softmodem = sh1te.
    buy yourself a nice external (non usb) 56k modem. diamond make nice ones. that'll fix it. or maybe try and install the 33k in it.
    you need a different modem basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Yea you do need a new modem (US Robotics are excellent) but as you said you can't afford one right now, what you need (NEED NEED NEED) to do is update the drivers. I had 1000ms+ pings for months until someone told me to do that, and it cut my ping down to about 300-350ms to European servers. Not great, but it was still a ****ty Winmodem after all :]

Now the hard part is finding the right drivers for your modem...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=modem+drivers

The first few results are good sites.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

By the sounds of it, you were skanked :(

By any chance did you buy a time computer??
    cause they usually give hsp and they're the WORST modems for gaming or even the internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I'd like to second that, Diamond modems are the business.

I bought an external (serial) SupraExpress PRO 56k two years ago, it cost £110 at the time, but it was definately worth it, never gave me any kind of ****.
    Doesn't require any special drivers (tell windows it's a standard 56k, and it works, end of story) and I generally get ~200ms pings to most game servers. (between 140 and 180 to a server I take care of in england!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr .Bungle

I also had a HSP modem, so i bought a Diamond Supra Max USB V.92. My line is limited to 33.6k beacause Eircom aren't arsed giving me 2 lines so they just split my line. I can hold a steady 200-250 ping when i'm byself on a server but much more than 10 other ppl and i have trouble keeping it below 1000. Anyone have ne suggestions? (I've tried diff ISP's and servers)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

sangre I live around the corner from you (your in leopardstown right?) I have two spare modems...................but if you like I can call around and try and configure that pos that you have ;) or I'll give you one of my other modems (if it works well for you)

How's 20 euro sound IF I successfully manage to get you a sub 200 pingaling? (if I manage it with your modem then no charge. If however you need a modem and I manage to get you a decent connection then I'll be expecting payment for installation and the hardware)

Sound fair? :D

pm if your interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

That does sound fair, you should take tactical anni up on that...

Advertisement