Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording Streaming audio files

Options
  • 04-02-2002 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

how would you reord audio streams (rams/rm files) from the likes a radio stations on the net. This is not for any illegal purposes btw. Take for example there was interview on so radio staion I wanted to record for some pupose, much in the same way IOFFL does, how do you do it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Hi Keeks,

The way I recorded stuff for the IOffline website was to record the audio using MusicMatchJukebox. I either recorded it as it played from the ram file or recorded onto tape and then recorded it as a "line in" [using a 3.5mm jack].

Its prolly easier to to do the later because you can better judge what output bitrate you need and you have a hard copy to tinker with- ie. If its a voice recording you can start out at a high bitrate and then lower it as you test, so as to lower the file size.

You can d/l MusicMatch free [ http://www.musicmatch.com ]
    and all you'll need is an RCA cable and 3.5mm twin jack.

Hope that answers a few q's...Gotta Run :)
    PM me if you have any probs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

How did you record it from the ram file using MM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

try this thread

saving .ra files

it just saves them, but without mm. I used download accelerator to download all the gift grubs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Me too, except I used creative recorder from meh SB Live! which has the facility to record any sounds going through the wav output thingy.

I'd be more technical only the James Bond season is on Network 2 (again).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Whenever you do want to get a bit more technical, let me know :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

A very nice little program I found a few weeks back was OPd2d or out put direct to disc: it uses the actual soundcard output to save a to a wav file and if you look for it on the net there's plug-ins that mean you can convert direct to mp3. You may have to pay a few bob for this or maybe not. There's a wide choice of bitrates available.

I've used it for stuff as low as 35kbps and it does a good job, and that's using a crappy onboard stereo soundcard. The USB external soundcard I have won't work with as there's no feed back into the comp to record; the signal goes straight to the speakers.
    The beauty of that little app is it's simplicity. It's an old program that was made for a yamaha soundcard but they found it worked with almost all newer soundcards too. There's no cumbersome controls, just settings for start and stop record and selecting bitrate/filetype and output file. Hit record and then play on your streaming audio. Direct to harddrive, no cables or recording to other formats first. Of course there are copywrite laws about capturing broadcast material, but once you're not reselling and it's for personal use only it can't be as bad a crime as p2p.

OPd2d is about 340kb.

Advertisement