Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIRCONS PLANS TO CONQUER ZA VORLD

• 26-11-2000 2:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭

Well it is the season to say HO HO HO.

A second key element to the repositioning of the fixed line business is a move to broadband in the local access network involving the deployment of a combination of fibre, radio and DSL technology. eircom's DSL trials to-date have focused on evaluating the new technology within its network. The company will shortly move to phase two of the trials focusing on the consumer market which will involve testing the technologies operational capability with a range of product offerings, including high speed Internet and content provided by "Future TV" and "Yes TV". The company's objective is to drive the penetration of high-speed multimedia and interactive services in the consumer and business markets.

Developing the Internet business
    The rapid growth in the use of the Internet in Ireland has continued apace. eircom has achieved a leading position in this increasingly important sector of the market through its two Internet service providers eircom Net and Indigo. At the end of February the company's ISP base exceeded 200,000, ahead of our expectations for the full year. The company continues to focus on the development of its e-business and e-commerce strategies and has made a number of acquisitions and investments to enhance its position in these key areas.

eircom has taken a policy decision to seek a separate stock exchange listing for its Internet related businesses. The company is also considering a range of other options to accelerate the development of these businesses including possible acquisitions and joint ventures.

Home market extension strategy
    The company's home market extension strategy includes a strong focus on the Northern Ireland market and the establishment of points of presence in some key cities in Great Britain. eircom UK has already contracted with Fibrenet to provide capacity for part of its backbone network in Great Britain. The development of eircom's business in Northern Ireland has been accelerated by the recent decision to invest Stg£25 million in a broadband fibre ring. The next phase of business development in Northern Ireland will include the establishment of multiple points of presence and access links to customers. The company's objective is to be the "All Ireland" communications provider.

eircom is also currently engaged in a bidding process for one of five UMTS licences in Great Britain.

April 1st agin already shooot i must have missed xmas

Stone biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by THE SPERMINATOR (edited 26-11-2000).]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Of course at no point do they mention when broadband might be available - they're still trying to suck the dry the tit of metered calls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

URL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally posted by THE SPERMINATOR:
    At the end of February the company's ISP base exceeded 200,000, (edited 26-11-2000).]

That's total tripe - who doesn't have an account more than one ISP? I've got a free Eircom account I havn't used in almost two years! The only way I still know I have it is they sent me a letter after that hacking incident to get me to phone for a new password. Muppets rolleyes.gif

Advertisement