Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

running dos applications in 2k

• 04-02-2002 10:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

ok, just wondering if its possible to run older dos applications on a win2k system.
    nver been able to do it, but as far as im aware it can be done, i just dont know how.
    i feel like a bit of retro gaming and install tomb raider :)
    also want to run a couple of older games like laser squad etc which will only run under dos.
    o i ned to install an emulator first or whatever
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I know it possibly can be done but even running certain DOS games under win9x was a challenge in itself, sometimes not actually possible. Best option!! Make a Dos bootdisk with your normal game stuff like cd drivers and mouse.com etc.. etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi WhiteWashMan,

I had no problems running LaserSquad on Win2k.
    What happened when you ran it? Did you get as far as the soundcard selection screen?

No, you shouldn't need to run an emulator...
    However, you may have some hardware compatibility problems,
    e.g. SoundBlaster, CD ROM drive etc..

Why don't you install MS-DOS on the machine as well?
    It's very easy to add it to the NT/2K bootloader. Just install as normal (as long as your filesystem is not NTFS) and then, as far as I can remember, you just add a line to the boot.ini (hidden file on the root of c:\) with something like:
    c:\="MS Dos"

Advertisement